Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 07-31-2007, 01:58 PM   #1
Getting_old

Getting_old is on a distinguished road
Default New Leica crf900 problems, ghosting, reflection

I just purchased a new Leica CRF900. Took it out today and tested it. I noticed when I am ranging that the red square inside is casting a ghost of itself below the actual red square and I also notice a series of dots and dashes that are ghost'd below the red square. Looks like this _ .. _ only with a curve like the smile on a smiles face

I called Leica and they said they were aware of this and that it was caused by the larger 24mm glass and that it was a reflection or ghost.

Question:
Is everyone else who ownes a crf 900 or 1200 seeing this same reflection?

I use to own a Leica LRF800 and never recall seeing such a reflection. I am considering returning this as I am not happy.
Getting_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly

wow thats a crappy response... there is nothing they can do to stop the ghosting? I would return it and get a different one if I were you
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
Getting_old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
wow thats a crappy response... there is nothing they can do to stop the ghosting? I would return it and get a different one if I were you
He said that the "reflection" did not effect the way the unit works, and from what he said, they all do this. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed it.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
Hook Em
Slippy for President

Hook Em is on a distinguished road

those are too expensive to not be perfect for ya! Send em back!
Old 07-31-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting_old View Post
He said that the "reflection" did not effect the way the unit works, and from what he said, they all do this. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed it.
if it is bothering you then it is affecting the performance of the unit.
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:17 PM   #6
Ronhop
RIP

Ronhop is on a distinguished road

I agree that you should send/take that thing back.
Leica has been in the lens business a long time and were the standard bearer for lens clarity and anti-reflective coating for cameras long ago (early 1900's maybe ?). In fact I believe they invented and developed anti-reflective coating.

Get your money back or get a replacement.

Good luck, but get agressive on it.

Ron
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:55 PM   #7
Getting_old

Default Update

Thanks for the info. I talked to the supplier today...had them pull a new one and check it out. They were not getting the reflection of the red box either. So I will exchange mine for that one.

Note: I happened to look into the end of the 900 I was going to ship back. While looking into the lenz from the front, there must have been 10 or 15 black specs of ???. I double checked the outside lens at both ends, made sure they were clean, and looked again. The 900 had all kinds of big specs all over the internal lens. Leica makes great equipment, I have owned both binocs and an lfr in the past. What happened to their QC. Even though I told them to ship me the other one, when I get it, I will check the lens. If it is all crapped up, I will send it back and wash my hands of Leica forever.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:02 PM   #8
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

I hope you get what you want in the end.....but it dont sound good right now....
Old 08-01-2007, 06:07 PM   #9
Ronhop
RIP

Ronhop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting_old View Post
Thanks for the info. I talked to the supplier today...had them pull a new one and check it out. They were not getting the reflection of the red box either. So I will exchange mine for that one.

Note: I happened to look into the end of the 900 I was going to ship back. While looking into the lenz from the front, there must have been 10 or 15 black specs of ???. I double checked the outside lens at both ends, made sure they were clean, and looked again. The 900 had all kinds of big specs all over the internal lens. Leica makes great equipment, I have owned both binocs and an lfr in the past. What happened to their QC. Even though I told them to ship me the other one, when I get it, I will check the lens. If it is all crapped up, I will send it back and wash my hands of Leica forever.
Yes, you need to get that made right for youself. Leica, high end Nikon, Swarovsky, Zeiss all have a long history of quality (and being expensive to justify their quality, or maybe the other way around). Hold them to that history.

Good luck,

Ron
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote