Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 08-03-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
aligator

aligator is on a distinguished road
Default Please point me in the right direction

I know you nice folks don't have a crystal ball, but maybe you can point me in the right direction. Here is my tale. I'm an "older guy", will be 71 on the 16th. and have not shot a bow since my Ben Pearson with a strait pin for a sight, 45 years ago. Now that I'm retired, I am starting to do the things I never had time to do. I starting to fish, rifle/pistol shooting and golf. I still can hit a 7 iron 150 yards. We have a nice archery range a short distance from home. I can see my self out there 1-2 time a week. On Sat I will go to some of the larger sport stores and try out some bows and see what I still can "pull". I respect the sales person's time so I would like to know a little about what to look at. I think I would like to do targets now, and if I can get good enough, hunt pig in the winter. Thats my story, now the questions.
Compound or Recurve, what brand(s). I would like to get a package for around $700. Thank you for your time, look forward to your suggestions.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

First off to the forum. And I hope you enjoy the comradery we have around here. Now to your questions:

First off you need to go out and shoot all the different bows you can and see what feels good to you. Everyone has different characteristics in bows that they like. I would say compound, some bigger names are Mathews,Hoyt,Bowtech,Martin. Other notable companies are Mission by Mathews, Reflex by Hoyt, Diamond by Bowtech and Bear. Of these I would suggest in no certain order:

Mathews Switchback XT
Hoyt Vectrix
Bowtech Tribute
Bear Truth
Diamond Black Ice
Reflex Super Slam
Martin Bengal
Mission X4

I would also suggest you check out the classifieds on here and on Archerytalk.

Good luck and if you have any others questions please post away. Again its great to have ya with us.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:53 PM   #3
Ronhop
RIP

Ronhop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
First off to the forum. And I hope you enjoy the comradery we have around here. Now to your questions:

First off you need to go out and shoot all the different bows you can and see what feels good to you. Everyone has different characteristics in bows that they like. I would say compound, some bigger names are Mathews,Hoyt,Bowtech,Martin. Other notable companies are Mission by Mathews, Reflex by Hoyt, Diamond by Bowtech and Bear. Of these I would suggest in no certain order:

Mathews Switchback XT
Hoyt Vectrix
Bowtech Tribute
Bear Truth
Diamond Black Ice
Reflex Super Slam
Martin Bengal
Mission X4

I would also suggest you check out the classifieds on here and on Archerytalk.

Good luck and if you have any others questions please post away. Again its great to have ya with us.
Bowhuntinhoosier summed it up as well as anyone could.
Try to shoot as many bows as you can and keep in mind that a high poundage bow these days don't mean much. Advances in bow and arrow technology have really made archery more forgiving. Compounds at low peak draw weights really kick some butt when you match an arrow to your peak draw weight and draw length.

Good luck and it's nice to have someone else join...

Ron
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
pilot

pilot is on a distinguished road

For an "older guy", sounds like your gonna be more active than i am!

You've only asked the hardest question ever! You should be able to get a lot of really nice bows in package for $700 if you shop around so it makes your question impossible to answer definitively. From personal experience i'm partial to any of the new bows from Fred Bear or Diamond Archery if you are just looking for good bang for the buck but don't need the latest hyped-up rig. I have owned and shot several models from both lines and they are great bang for the buck in my opinion. You should esily get a nice package in either for under $700, including a dozen arrows and a good release. You can also pick up a good deal on some higher end bows such as Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech, etc. if you look around, especially if you're willing to buy slightly used.

There are lots more bows in your budget and i'm sure others here will chime in with more good suggestions.

Shopping for a new rig as pretty fun all by itself....have fun!
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." - Phillipians 4:13
Quickstand Archery
Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings
God's Country Outdoors
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
pilot

pilot is on a distinguished road

...or what those guys said while i was typing.
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." - Phillipians 4:13
Quickstand Archery
Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings
God's Country Outdoors
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:30 PM   #6
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

brokenarrow is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to the sport...

and what they said...

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:47 PM   #7
kbohunt
are u a fat boy?

kbohunt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kbohunt
Default Ha,there!

And Back to archery, and the greatest forum!
I to was into archery tournaments and hunting since age 16 Im 46 now and have got back into tournament shooting hard this year after a 10 year layoff!
I didnt stop bowhunting though, have allways hunted!
Your question about bow packages in the $700 range is open to alot of them.
Though im pretty much into PSE there are alot of great bows ive set-up and shot. here are a few!

Diamand-black Ice
Browning-Marage
Mathews-Switchback
Pse-Mossy oak-X
Bear-code & the Truth

These are a few others you may want to check-out along with the others mentioned earlier!

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
Arrows..beman ICS hunter
SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
FBSA-MEMBER
Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A
kbohunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:25 AM   #8
longcut36

longcut36 has a spectacular aura aboutlongcut36 has a spectacular aura about

finally,some one older than me. I will be 71 nov. 22. and like you I still do it all. I hunt,fish and all types of archery. maybe we can tell some "tall tales" about the good old days. like when gas was 21 cents a gallon.
longcut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:45 AM   #9
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

No question you will get more speed per draw weight with a compound. So keep that in mind if your going to hunt. If you haven't shot for that long don't expect to pull heavy poundage. Everybody here will have their own personal favorite brands, but most the major brands are all pretty dang good bows. You just have to get it to fit you. Are you leaning one way or the other as far as compounds/recurves? Martin is still making wood recurves, as well as Bear. Checkmate is another with not to bad a price tag and has a good reputation. Quinn recurves are metal risers, and can take sights/rests. There are tons of customs in recurves/longbows out there.
If compound, think about if your going to be using a release or using your fingers, that will have narrow down the choices for you as I would expect you would'nt want too short of a bow if using fingers. You might want something with adjustable draw lenth rather than a fixed one so you can find a comfortable DL as you refamiliarize yourself with shooting.
red44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 10:47 AM   #10
poorman
And thats no lie !

poorman has a spectacular aura aboutpoorman has a spectacular aura about
Default Welcome to the forum

This is a hard question to anwser as you can see from the above posts. Archery is a very personal thing. Picking a bow in particular is very much a personal preference. Everybody here has the bow that they like the best and will sing its praises to high heaven (until they shoot another one they like better) I personally go with whatever feels and shoots the best in my price range. You can spend 500.00 to well over 1000.00 on a bow. Thats alot of money to most people. The biggest mistake you can make is to buy a bow based on what someone says is good. I dont care what all the commercials are telling you. There are a lot of really good bows on the market today. Just find the one that you like best and go with it.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:25 AM   #11
Gary J

Gary J is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the retirement and welcome to the forum.

You're getting lots of good advice here. That's why I like this place. Allow me to pass on a little from my limited experience.

First, don't let the appearance of a bow influence your decision. There are several models on the market that look quite strange but are incredible performers.

You want a parallel limb bow. They are generally smoother, quieter, and don't try to jump out of your hand at release. It won't be hard to find one. All the major brands offer parallel limb bows. The difference is in the angle at which the limbs attach to the riser. Conventional limbs are mounted roughly in line with the riser. Parallel limbs sweep back at a steep angle.

Something else to consider when making your selection is that many bows have adjustable draw weights. By adjusting the limb fasteners you can reduce the listed draw weight by 10 pounds or more. I bought a 60 pound Guardian last March and dialed it back to 50. Shot a 3-spot league with it that way then started dialing it back up. I'm shooting 3D now and it's back at full power. Much easier to draw than it was in March. You could even start with a 50 pound bow and dial it back to 40. If 50 ends up being too light you can replace the limbs with heavier ones.

The most important thing is to try several bows before deciding. Any shop worth your business will let you try several different rigs. The odds of buying a 'keeper' go up dramatically when you compare several bows.

When you're shopping, try to stick to archery shops. If you have to go to a big box store, pick one that staffs it's sporting goods department with real sportsmen. You don't want buying advice from someone who reads to you from a sales brochure.
Gary J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 10:50 PM   #12
aligator

aligator is on a distinguished road

Thanks Guys, took my wife out looking today, just had to take her to lunch. Tried a 55 lb Compound, felt good, Going to Sacremento on Sunday to some stores, looking and trying. I will let you know how I do. To longcut 36, Yes I got you by a few months.