Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 12-29-2005, 12:29 PM   #1
Wwhite

Wwhite is on a distinguished road
Default How small can I make feathers and keep them effective?

I recently was given my grandfathers bow. It is a Jennings Arrowstar Mach 2. Its rather old but is in perfect condition. I am intending on using it for indoor and the occasional outdoor paper shoot. With this in mind, how small can i make my own feathers and keep them effective?

Right now, the arrows i have with the bow are about an inch short for my draw length. I have plenty of arrows to shoot out of it, but the originals had really small duravanes on them. My question is, can i make the feathers slightly bigger than the duravanes and keep them effective?

I want to shoot feathers because it is something that you dont see too often on aluminum arrows, and i think it will be fitting given that the bow is something you dont see verry often either.

Should i just buy the duravanes and be done with it or use feathers?

I have the burner to shape the feathers, so thats not something i need to consider getting just for what i had in mind.

Thanks
-Walt
Wwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 08:59 PM   #2
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

If you are shooting fingers, stay with 4" vanes. If you are shooting release you can go smaller but that would also depend on how heavy a shaft you are shooting.

If you are shooting a light shaft say under 450 grains, you might be able to shoot 3" feathers (again if you are shooting release). Otherwise go 4" feathers.

just my opinion.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:35 PM   #3
Wwhite

Im not sure what the total weight of the shaft will be. Im using xx75 2018 shafts, traditional nocks, 100 grain combo points, and feathers.

Im shooting with a release at about 50#

The more i thought about making the feather slightly bigger than the 1.8 duravane the more i worried about it not working out the way i wanted. I was thinking about going to 2.5 inch feathers, but if you recoomend larger ill go with what is suggested for this setup

Thanks for the info

-Walt
Old 12-30-2005, 08:04 AM   #4
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Shooting the 2018, you can shoot the smaller feathers and will still get good flight with your setup. I used to shoot the 2.5" feathers on a small carbon shafts and shot some really good scores with that setup.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 11:54 AM   #5
Wwhite

great, thanks for the info.

I picked up full length feathers yesterday, cant wait to get everything fletched so i can give it a shot.