Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 09-30-2007, 10:17 AM   #1
Shikari

Shikari is on a distinguished road
Default Ever hear of an Indian compound bow?

Hello,

I'm new to this site and sort of new to modern bowhunting. Many years ago (probably close to 30 years ago), I purchased an Indian compound. It is a Shikari model (hence the nickname) 45 - 55 lb. adjustable. It has just a primitive little stick on plastic arrow rest that I have never been able to get set up properly. I deer hunted just once with it just after I had bought it. I got a shot off on a nice doe but it was not a very good shot. The arrow did penetrate through the deer but I was never able to recover the deer after hours of crawling on hands and knees trying to find a drop of blood here and there. I was so sickened of the thought of wounding the deer and not being able to find it that I haven't bow hunted since. This bow is not in that bad of condition that possibly a new arrow rest and maybe adding a release aid and a better sight to it and a bunch of practicing with it might get me back into deer hunting with it again..... If someone here might be able to give me a couple ideas what (or what not to) do with it, I'd really appreciate it. I'm wondering about adding a Whisker Biscuit arrow rest for one thing. Any other ideas would be very helpfull!!! Thanks!
Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:21 PM   #2
ilbowhunter
2008 BEAR LIGHTS OUT

ilbowhunter is on a distinguished road
Default Indian Bow

I also have an Indian compound bow ,and I'm looking for some info. It is an Indian Stalker. I'm trying to find out how old this bow might be. It has the same stick on arrow rest like yours does, and is also 45-55lbs. draw weight. I would like to find out the ageof this bow, and also if they are still around.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:40 PM   #3
Shikari

I have tried searching for info on mine but can't find much. All I know is I bought mine new about 26 or so years ago. It is essentially still brand new. It has a really nice oak hardwood handle grip. I guess I'd be in a bad way if I ever had to change the cable on mine. All I would like to do is to get it so that I could at least target shoot with it or at best wait for a perfect standing broadside 10 - 15 yard shot at a nice deer! I think I am finally over the one I lost some 25 years ago.............

Thanks for the reply!
Old 09-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #4
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

brokenarrow is on a distinguished road

Welcome Shikari...

Your bow, does it have a treaded hole in the riser where a rest would be able to be bolted on?? If so then a Whisker Biscuit is a fine choice. As for a sight, TRU makes some nice inexpensive models...

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:44 PM   #5
Charles Fetterolf

Charles Fetterolf is on a distinguished road
Smile Indian bow

I had one in the mid80's. They were one of, if not the first to make a cam for their bows. They came with interchangeable modules to change draw length without a bow press. At that time they were made with either a metal or wood riser. They did not have a berger button in the riser. The metal handled one had a slot on the front of the riser to put sight pins in. If I remember correctly I used a flipper rest. I am sure they are no longer in business. I believe they were headquartered in Indiana.
Charles Fetterolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:19 PM   #6
kbohunt
are u a fat boy?

kbohunt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kbohunt
Default Hi,Shikari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikari View Post
Hello,

I'm new to this site and sort of new to modern bowhunting. Many years ago (probably close to 30 years ago), I purchased an Indian compound. It is a Shikari model (hence the nickname) 45 - 55 lb. adjustable. It has just a primitive little stick on plastic arrow rest that I have never been able to get set up properly. I deer hunted just once with it just after I had bought it. I got a shot off on a nice doe but it was not a very good shot. The arrow did penetrate through the deer but I was never able to recover the deer after hours of crawling on hands and knees trying to find a drop of blood here and there. I was so sickened of the thought of wounding the deer and not being able to find it that I haven't bow hunted since. This bow is not in that bad of condition that possibly a new arrow rest and maybe adding a release aid and a better sight to it and a bunch of practicing with it might get me back into deer hunting with it again..... If someone here might be able to give me a couple ideas what (or what not to) do with it, I'd really appreciate it. I'm wondering about adding a Whisker Biscuit arrow rest for one thing. Any other ideas would be very helpfull!!! Thanks!
I have shot an Indian bow back around 1979-1980
Kinda like the browning bushmaster,wood risor and all.
Im gonna make a suggestion, you might end up putting alot of money in it getting this bow back in shape,even a new wisker biscuit will run you $40 on the cheap side,and the cables, under the covering you cant trust them sitting that long,it might be dangerious.
Your best bet is use this one as a practice bow in the back yard.
check out some bows around 5 years old you can pick up a pretty good one around $75 to $200
I just sold a beautiful 8 to 10 year old PSE Jetfilght for $100 and it still shot around 250fps on 70lbs.
You can get some deals, look around.
And the Indian if its been setting strung up tight that long,the limbs wont have any poundage left in them,I had a Bear whitetail 2 for 25years a friend wanted me to sell it,put it on the scale cranked up was only 47lbs,the bow is supposed to be 55-70.

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
Arrows..beman ICS hunter
SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
FBSA-MEMBER
Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A
kbohunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:47 AM   #7
SinGin
Banned

SinGin is on a distinguished road

My very first compound was an Indian bow. My parents got it for me out of a Sears catolog, That was probably 1984. What a piece of junk, the string and cable was all one peice. You couldn't even put a peepsight on it. Your best bet is to just invest some money and get an updated bow and save the Indian bow for bowfishing. If all else fails you can always tie a rope to the Indian bow and use it for a boat anchor.
SinGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:34 AM   #8
Shikari

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
Welcome Shikari...

Your bow, does it have a treaded hole in the riser where a rest would be able to be bolted on?? If so then a Whisker Biscuit is a fine choice. As for a sight, TRU makes some nice inexpensive models...
Thank you!
No this bow does not have a pre-drilled hole for a rest. I would have to determine a spot and drill one. I would probably have to use some type of wood screw to mount the wb. This bow does have a crude 3 pin sight that I put on when I first got it. I can live with it for awhile. I figure if I did spend up to about $40 on a WB I could still re-use it if or when I eventually get a newer bow?? I like the arrow containment part of the WB. What about putting a loop or metal nock on the cable/string for a release??? I could eventually re-use those on another bow also...

Shik....
Old 10-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #9
Shikari

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
I have shot an Indian bow back around 1979-1980
Kinda like the browning bushmaster,wood risor and all.
Im gonna make a suggestion, you might end up putting alot of money in it getting this bow back in shape,even a new wisker biscuit will run you $40 on the cheap side,and the cables, under the covering you cant trust them sitting that long,it might be dangerious.
Your best bet is use this one as a practice bow in the back yard.
check out some bows around 5 years old you can pick up a pretty good one around $75 to $200
I just sold a beautiful 8 to 10 year old PSE Jetfilght for $100 and it still shot around 250fps on 70lbs.
You can get some deals, look around.
And the Indian if its been setting strung up tight that long,the limbs wont have any poundage left in them,I had a Bear whitetail 2 for 25years a friend wanted me to sell it,put it on the scale cranked up was only 47lbs,the bow is supposed to be 55-70.
Thanks,
I was wondering about how this bow could remain strung for all these years and still be ok to shoot..... I would be happy just to plink around with it in the back yard for awhile. I think maybe I will do some looking around but really not sure what I want yet??? About $100-$200 would be about as much as I would like to go right now.
Thanks again!

The Shik...
Old 10-01-2007, 06:56 PM   #10
kbohunt
are u a fat boy?

kbohunt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kbohunt
Default Ha,Shikari!

Quote:
Thanks,
I was wondering about how this bow could remain strung for all these years and still be ok to shoot..... I would be happy just to plink around with it in the back yard for awhile. I think maybe I will do some looking around but really not sure what I want yet??? About $100-$200 would be about as much as I would like to go right now.
Thanks again!

The Shik...
I buy and sell alot on E-Bay
If ya want a bow at a low price, thats where ya need to look,ebay or AT classifides.
Check it out i just went on e-bay here's some pic's!
1st one is your same bow on e-bay,BUY it now price:$54
2nd check this out Bear Buckmaster BTR bow new in the package in your price range
28,29,30 in. draw and 55-70 lb pull.
Pretty good for just hunting.........Buy it now price:$129.00 and its yours
If i didnt have anything to hunt with and $129 i would buy it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bearbow1.jpg (28.6 KB, 7058 views)
File Type: jpg 029d_1.jpg (20.1 KB, 7041 views)

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
Arrows..beman ICS hunter
SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
FBSA-MEMBER
Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A
kbohunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:45 PM   #11
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

brokenarrow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thank you!
No this bow does not have a pre-drilled hole for a rest. I would have to determine a spot and drill one. I would probably have to use some type of wood screw to mount the wb. This bow does have a crude 3 pin sight that I put on when I first got it. I can live with it for awhile. I figure if I did spend up to about $40 on a WB I could still re-use it if or when I eventually get a newer bow?? I like the arrow containment part of the WB. What about putting a loop or metal nock on the cable/string for a release??? I could eventually re-use those on another bow also...

Shik....
I'm not sure about a peep...depends on the construction of the string, as for a loop, you can tie a loop on it and don't worry about reusing it. Loop cord is cheap...

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #12
monkybrainz
Patriot till Death...

monkybrainz is on a distinguished road
Default Indian compound bow

I also have an Indian Hawkeye compound bow, I dont know how old it is and it still looks and shoots like new. Im gonna put an fall away arrow rest on it and call it good, I now shoot an PSE NOVA, ( which i practicly stole at a local pawn shop) I any one knows how to find out about the indian company it would be askwikki.com they helped me figure out who made my sears shotgun( winchester 1200) and found the prodution year of my remington pump .22( jan 1955)...love that wikki...
monkybrainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:50 PM   #13
Archerdad

Archerdad will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Archerdad

pse makes a bow called a nova that you can get fairly cheap and it would have a warranty. the newer bows are so much quieter and faster i just think i'd skip ahead 30 years and splurge a little, if nothing else for your safety. it would be awful to have an old bow come apart and pistol whip you or worse.
be careful and have fun.
Archerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:49 AM   #14
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

dbdcougar will become famous soon enough

My daughter started with an Indian and it had lost draw weight as well. I'd also recommend retiring it. For 100-200 you could indeed get a 2000-2003 midrange bow likely with it at lest partially if not fully rigged.
dbdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:25 AM   #15
hilltophunter

hilltophunter is on a distinguished road

I had an Indian as my first bow when I think I was 12. Someone correct me if I am wrong but XI marketed these bows to big box stores under the Indian name "to sell but not be seen". I too would lean towards retiring your bow and saving up for a bow with newer technology. Yes your bow will take game but why not get something that is easier to put on accessories?
TRU Ball prostaff/Vapor Trail Prostaff/BuckBomb Prostaff
hilltophunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #16
duckslayer870

duckslayer870 is on a distinguished road

i would be very wary of any bow that has sat for that long while strung, A bow blowing up is as dangerous as a firearm blowing up in some respects. Parts flying at high velocity are a bad thing. I would look on ebay for a nice used bow or perhaps hunt around the proshops. sometimes they take old bows for trade and want badly to get rid of them. a newer bow perhaps in the 5-10 year old range can be bought very reasonably and can be safely worked on and often have accessories with them.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:33 AM   #17
bigmudder

bigmudder is on a distinguished road

i just got one of these ill get pics of it. it doesnt look too old and feels pretty nice yet
bigmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:14 AM   #18
48down

48down is on a distinguished road

I bought an indian compound bow in the mid 80's. It was my first bow. I don't know what model it was but it had a big fat dark wood riser. I think I paid $88 for it.
48down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:16 PM   #19
stoney1942

stoney1942 is on a distinguished road
Default indian bow

I have an indian timber wolf 50# compound, I bought it in 1967. I have never unstrung the bow since I had it and this year I put a new string on for the first time because it was a little frayed, the cable is still the origional cable, when I had a new string put on they tested the poundage and it was 49.4 # That isn't bad for a 50# - 51 year old bow. I put a tru glo 3 pin site on it and sighted it in at 25yds. 50yds. and 75yds. I will put 3 out of 5 arrows in the bullseye. It is the one with a metal frame not wood. I love this bow.
The origional Indian bow company went out of business or closed down years ago and another Indian Archery co. makes compound bows for children up to 35# or 40#. I hope this helps.
thanks, stoney1942
stoney1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:46 PM   #20
poppa5685

poppa5685 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hello,

i to have a shikari it was manufactured by indian archery, who renamed to XI, located in evansville indiana.xi ws actually owned by a company called escalade which produce several different kinds of sporting equipment from archery to ping pong to volley ball to basketball and back again. this company was purchased by bear jennings and they now manufacture bear archery equipment there.
poppa5685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #21
stoney1942

stoney1942 is on a distinguished road
Smile indian archery

If you want some information on the Indian archery co. If you have google menu bar type in indian archery corp. then click on the first one Escalade inc history it will tell you about the company and how it merged.

Last edited by stoney1942; 01-02-2009 at 04:02 PM.
stoney1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #22
hstubblefield

hstubblefield is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to hstubblefield

i have heard of them but they was made way before my time never got 2 shoot 1
hstubblefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #23
monkybrainz
Patriot till Death...

monkybrainz is on a distinguished road

Just handed down my indian to my kid...all new stuff on it, shoots fine,( atleast in my hands)....I put my old stock PSE sights on it, and a whisker biscut, a peep, and new string. almost wantetd it back...

Last edited by monkybrainz; 01-06-2009 at 06:57 PM.
monkybrainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #24
LewDog

LewDog is on a distinguished road
Default Indian Stalker

I bought an Indian Stalker in about 1984. Over the years, I have modified it with whisker biscuit, peep sights, etc and camoflaged it. It still shoots good after all these years. The sting and limbs have held up well and I too am about to pass it down to my son, so he can learn to shoot.
LewDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:43 PM   #25
bluestraw

bluestraw is on a distinguished road

Woohoo!!
An update to this thread. I've been following this for about 6 months now.

LewDog, I'd really like to see a photo of your bow!
Earlier this summer my Uncle gave me his Indian Stalker that he says he hasn't used in 20+ years. I've never used a bow, except in P.E. class in school. So about 20 years ago. The bow was just that, no rest or anything. It does have a quiver though. My uncle also gave me about a dozen arrows with it.
A Three days ago, I took it to Gander Mountain in IN. A nice bow tech helped me a ton. First he looked it over and said all appears functionally fine. Hooked me up with a nock, a kisser thingy and a leather finger tab thing. Then he let me take it to the range. What a blast!!! Would really like to update the sights. Replace with fiber pins if I can just find ones that'll work. Yesterday, I went to a bow shop and had a 1/2 dozen arrows made up for me with field points and now I just need a few bales of hay and time.
Oh yeah, I had them check the #'s and it was 53#.

Blue
bluestraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:30 PM   #26
indianman

indianman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney1942 View Post
I have an indian timber wolf 50# compound, I bought it in 1967. I have never unstrung the bow since I had it and this year I put a new string on for the first time because it was a little frayed, the cable is still the origional cable, when I had a new string put on they tested the poundage and it was 49.4 # That isn't bad for a 50# - 51 year old bow. I put a tru glo 3 pin site on it and sighted it in at 25yds. 50yds. and 75yds. I will put 3 out of 5 arrows in the bullseye. It is the one with a metal frame not wood. I love this bow.
The origional Indian bow company went out of business or closed down years ago and another Indian Archery co. makes compound bows for children up to 35# or 40#. I hope this helps.
thanks, stoney1942

do you happen to remember where you got the new string and the specs of it?
i have the exact same bow that i found lying in my dads closet and decided to find out if i could get it working again.
indianman is offline   Reply With Quote