Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 01-16-2006, 09:00 PM   #1
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute
Default CWD spreading in Illinois

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 9, 2006

DEER SEASON SAMPLING FINDS ADDITIONAL EVIDENCE OF CHRONIC WASTING DISEASE
New cases found in Northern Illinois

SPRINGFIELD, IL. – Sixteen additional cases of chronic wasting disease (CWD) have been detected in northern Illinois through sampling of hunter-harvested deer during the state’s 2005-06 deer seasons. The new cases include two deer taken by hunters in Ogle County, the first time CWD has been detected there.

“The Department of Natural Resources continues intensive sampling for CWD as part of our effort to slow the spread of the disease in our wild deer herd,” said Paul Shelton, manager of the IDNR Forest Wildlife Program. “We appreciate the support of hunters who continue to voluntarily allow us to take tissue samples from their deer to test for the disease. The sampling, testing and surveillance is extremely important as we deal with CWD.”

Chronic wasting disease was first discovered in Illinois in November 2002 and to date Illinois has detected 112 positive cases.

The disease had been confined in northern Illinois in Boone, Winnebago, McHenry and northern DeKalb until the two new cases were detected in nearby Ogle County this winter.

“We were somewhat surprised to find these two cases in Ogle County because no cases had been detected there previously despite very intensive sampling,” Shelton said. “We’ve sampled nearly 2,000 deer in Ogle County since 2003 and these are the only two cases we have found there to date. We are still awaiting the results of approximately 350 other samples from Ogle County taken this fall.”

Illinois biologists have collected samples from more than 2,500 deer in seven northern Illinois counties so far during the 2005-06 firearm and archery deer seasons and from suspect animals reported to the IDNR.

Hunters in Boone, Winnebago and McHenry counties a portion of DeKalb County north of the East-West Tollway will participate in a CWD Deer Season Jan. 13-15 to help control deer densities and the spread of chronic wasting disease. Hunters with unfilled 2005 firearm, muzzleloader or archery deer permits valid for one of the open counties may use those to hunt. Hunters using unfilled permits from the 2005 firearm, muzzleloader or archery season may take deer appropriate for that permit (antlerless-only or either-sex). Special CWD season permits were also issued previously. Check stations will be manned in the four counties and successful hunters who submit samples for CWD testing will be provided with an additional permit valid for the remainder of the season.

Confirmed CWD cases by county:
Boone-53
Winnebago-42
McHenry-9
Dekalb-6
Ogle-2

Check station locations for the CWD Deer Season:

Boone County - Boone County Fairgrounds, Rt. 76 and Business Rt. 20, Belvidere.
DeKalb County - Potawatomi Woods Forest Preserve, 32199 Kirkland Rd.(one-quarter mile north of Rt. 72), Kirkland.
McHenry County - Sportsman’s Choice, intersection of Routes 14 and 47, Woodstock.
Winnebago County - Rock Cut State Park, 6425 Hart Rd. (one mile east of Perryville Rd. on Hart Rd.), Loves Park.

While not thought to be contagious to humans or livestock, CWD is known to spread from animal to animal among deer and elk. The disease affects the brain of the infected animal, causing it to become emaciated, display abnormal behavior, lose coordination and eventually die.

Illinois expanded its chronic wasting disease surveillance effort in 2002 following the discovery of CWD in neighboring Wisconsin. For updated information about CWD, check the IDNR web site at: http://dnr.state.il.us/cwd. Hunters who participated in the CWD sampling can check the status of their deer at this site. Hunters who provided samples from deer that test positive are notified by the IDNR.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

If you hunt in IL, you better be very concerned about this. Every place that CWD has been found up here in Northern, IL has brought on the DNR sharp shooters.

Understand this, if CWD is found near a farm you hunt, you can forget deer hunting for the next few years. The DNR is going to come in a slaughter every deer in the area.

This is what is being done in No. IL. I personally feel, if you look hard enough for CWD in any county, you are going to find it. CWD has been out west for years, you don't see their DNR killing every deer & elk that walks do you?

Now the thought is deer feeding or congregating in one area can spread the disease. So they make feeding deer illegal in IL. Baiting was already illegal in IL. The DNR comes in puts out a huge bait pile, deer walk in and they shoot them at night. Let's say one of these deer feeding has CWD. The feed is now contaminated. The DNR calls it quits for the day. Do you think the animals will stop coming to the bait because the DNR went home?

No, the deer come and feed. Every deer that feeds there may now contract CWD. The only way to totally control the CWD is kill every deer in the county. How easy will this be? It will be nearly impossible in my opinion.

If you do kill every one, will that solve the problem. For a while maybe. They already know that CWD can live in the soil for a long, long time.

Do you think if Pike county had a case of CWD that the DNR would be in there slaughtering the herd. No way, big money from the outfitters would put a stop to it.

Ogle county is one of the top producing big deer counties in the state and now the DNR has a reason to go in and clean up.

Every hunter in Northern, IL should be worried and every hunter in IL should be concerned that it is going to happen in your county.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:00 PM   #3
Pinky

Pinky is on a distinguished road

I have 3 friends who go to Pike County each year. They pay dearly for those hunts. IMO

Chris, does the IL DNR really use the tactics you mentioned? DNR spotlighters? That's WRONG if they do.

Please keep me posted on this.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:58 AM   #4
Chris
Administrator

Yes, they do use these tactics. If landowners will not let them on the land to kill the deer they setup on surrounding land and use helicopters to drive the deer to the sharpshooters.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:55 AM   #5
fastltz

fastltz is on a distinguished road

Welcome to IL politics at its best. They think because they have " degrees" they know it all and can do all. And if we as hunters and landowners don't put up our voices this will never stop!
fastltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:10 PM   #6
sharpspur

sharpspur is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastltz
They think because they have " degrees" they know it all and can do all. And if we as hunters and landowners don't put up our voices this will never stop!

And you have a biology/wildlife management degree from where? I always laugh when I here from couch biologists on how they could better manage the wildlife in their particular area. Better yet, if you think you have the answers or credentials why don't you apply for a job with the Il DNR. If they did nothing to attempt to stop the disease the same people would be
b!tching.

If you feel politics are the problem, have you ran for political office? That is the nice thing about this country, you have every chance to change what you don't like about it.

Last edited by sharpspur; 01-17-2006 at 12:12 PM.
sharpspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:56 PM   #7
fastltz

fastltz is on a distinguished road

I don't claim to know it all or try to know it all. It just seems to me that they do what ever they want, and they don't talk to hunters or outdoor people. However i do work for Il and know all about the politics and how they work. It just seems to me that betters ways could found other than murder the deer herd.
fastltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:03 PM   #8
Sportsman

Sportsman is on a distinguished road
Default We need more "couch biologists"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpspur
And you have a biology/wildlife management degree from where? I always laugh when I here from couch biologists on how they could better manage the wildlife in their particular area. Better yet, if you think you have the answers or credentials why don't you apply for a job with the Il DNR. If they did nothing to attempt to stop the disease the same people would be
b!tching.

If you feel politics are the problem, have you ran for political office? That is the nice thing about this country, you have every chance to change what you don't like about it.
I guess I am a couch biologist too, during poaching season.(after legal deer season)
I know plenty of "couch biologists" that could put together a supperior "deer management" program. I prefer to reffer to it as a Poaching Escapade though. What make's the hunters upset is the way they go about it. Instead of including the sportsman in the effort, the IL DNR has created their own private poaching escapade that goes against everything they have ever written in the regulations. This pisses ethical hunters off.
Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:22 PM   #9
MoBowman

MoBowman is on a distinguished road

I read an artical in the Kansas City Star last week that stated that Kansas had a report of CWD. They just released this, but the CWD case is over a year old. If I remember right it was in the north central part of the state. Missouri did random checks for three years and never came up with a case.

MoBowman ```--------->
MoBowman is offline   Reply With Quote