Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 01-25-2006, 03:24 PM   #1
oliverm

oliverm is on a distinguished road
Default Paper Tuning???

What does it mean when they say that I need to "paper tune" my bow, and how would I do this. By the way, I shoot with a Whisker Bisquit, any pointers?????
oliverm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:18 PM   #2
Pinky

Pinky is on a distinguished road

Paper tuning is a way to tune your arrow rest.

You shoot arrows thru paper that is strecthed over a frame. The paper is not attached to the target. The arrow passes completely thru the paper before reaching the back stop/target.

What you are looking for is how the arrow tears thru the paper. You will be able to see if the arrow point is going thru the paper in a different location than the nock of the arrow. This will give you info that can be used to adjust you arrow rest, and/or string nock. In a perfect world, your arrow would pass thru the paper with no tearing. Just a hole.

If you want more info on how to do this, post here. I can post some pics if needed to further explain this method of rest tuning.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:02 PM   #3
oliverm

Thanks for the info. if you have a chance to post those pictures feel free, and thanks again for helping out.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:18 PM   #4
Pinky

oliverm, i will post the pics tomorrow morning. I forgot to get it done this afternoon. My bad .
Old 01-26-2006, 07:47 PM   #5
oliverm

Take your time, I've been just shooting my bow at 20yrds until I get comfortable with it. Do you think that I need to paper tune, if I'm using my bow mainly for hunting???
Old 01-26-2006, 07:58 PM   #6
Radar
Story of my life

Radar will become famous soon enough
Default paper tuning

For myself personally I paper tune my hunting setup. To me it is just the peace of mind knowing that my arrow is flying as straight as possible, especially when shooting at a live animal. Thats just me, I have been told by my friends that I am too fussy about my setup but it makes me feel better knowing I took the extra time to get tuned and sighted in perfectly, because with hunting when you think something wont happen is usually when it does.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:39 PM   #7
Pinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverm
Do you think that I need to paper tune, if I'm using my bow mainly for hunting???
No sir.

I, personally, do not think that paper tuning is a must do. Yes, it can give you info. Paper tuning can also drive you insane. Some bows will never fire arrows "off rest" so that you get a "perfect" tear in the paper.

I think some folks give this method of "rest tuning" too much attention.

I use it. But, I don't base all my faith in it. I like to use it just for a "check". If the arrow is really tearing a big hole, something may be wrong. It's worth the time spent to find a rest issue.

If your broadheads are grouping nicely, what will paper tuning fix? You need to careful about applying target shooter strategies into your hunting game.

If you are struggling to get your shots to find their mark. There may be other issues.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:14 AM   #8
abcarrow

abcarrow is on a distinguished road
Cool If you take the time, you'll have peace of mind

Get on the Easton Web sight, for free info on how to tune your bow. I personally wouldn't point my bow at anything unless I knew for sure that I've done everything possible to make a clean kill. When tunning a bow, you should have all the gear on bow, and on yourself meaning gloves, hat coat etc. Everything plays a factor on how the arrow flies coming off the bow, I personally tune my arrows individually also.

Happy Hunting
abcarrow
abcarrow is offline   Reply With Quote