Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Clubhouse Lounge > Offtopic

Old 06-05-2004, 02:09 PM   #1
billandlisa

billandlisa is on a distinguished road
Default advice for starting a 3-D Range

Me and my husband are in the beginning stages of opening up a 3D range. We would like advice concerning legal issues -for example insurance, liability release forms, rules and regulations for the range, etc. We have already researched all this and pretty much know what we need to do, but maybe we missed something. ANY advice would be appreciated.
The range will be on our property where our home is located. This can be a good thing or bad thing. We know many of the people who will be using the range (our town is small). That helps! We eventually would like to have an indoor range put up. We are taking small steps at first. I thought maybe someone was in our place at one time and could give us some advice from their experience on what works and what doesn't.
billandlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 02:34 PM   #2
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to send off an email to someone that may be able to help you. They currently run a club in our area.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 08:44 PM   #3
Pinky

Pinky is on a distinguished road

Are planning to operate this range a profit type business? Or, are you wanting to start a "not for profit" club range? From my limited experience, the two are totally different.

-Pinky
Old 06-07-2004, 10:51 AM   #4
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

I talked to my friend that runs the local club. Maybe he'll answer the post. Anyone, one of the things he mentioned in incorporating.

Are you going to run it as a shop/range or as a club? If it's a club, look at joining NFAA or another group. They usually offer insurance and can probably give advice on range setup.

My personal advice. Make sure your range is setup with safety in mind.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 07:03 PM   #5
billandlisa

Default advice on 3-d range

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRBC_Pinky
Are planning to operate this range a profit type business? Or, are you wanting to start a "not for profit" club range? From my limited experience, the two are totally different.

-Pinky
We are going to do this for profit. We are not planning on getting rich! We are not in this for a big profit at all. This is something we have been wanting to do for a long time. The opportunity has now presented its self so we are going with it. We enjoy the sport and the people involved with the sport. We also like to be able to bring the opportunity to people to have a place to shoot (because the two ranges nearby shut down and the others are too far to travel). We would also like to see families come out and have fun together. We would love to do programs for the youth. We want our community to benefit from this. So....we are taking small steps to see what works and what doesn't. I am very concerned with liability. I put safety first! Especially when kids are involved. I will be on "patrol" constantly. We were just told about the archery in school program from a DNR officier in our area. He said they are trying to start the program where we live. We were wondering if our range could help this program. We are planning to read more about it. Any advice is appreciated. Especially from those who have had ranges. Mostly, I guess we will learn as we go!
Old 06-07-2004, 07:23 PM   #6
billandlisa

Default advice for 3-d range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
I talked to my friend that runs the local club. Maybe he'll answer the post. Anyone, one of the things he mentioned in incorporating.

Are you going to run it as a shop/range or as a club? If it's a club, look at joining NFAA or another group. They usually offer insurance and can probably give advice on range setup.

My personal advice. Make sure your range is setup with safety in mind.
Right now we are just a small range. In time if this is successful we will invest also in a indoor shoot. We aren't sure of whether to open a shop (it would be small). We would like to have some supplies on hand right now, but we will have to see how the range does. People said they are mostly interested in just a place to shoot because there is no where to go to shoot. It will also be a "hang out" for those in the area who enjoy the sport and people involved in the sport! Also, my husband mostly deals in guns. That is his biggest interest. Absolutely, safety is the most important thing! Thanks for your help and advice!
Old 06-07-2004, 08:54 PM   #7
Pinky

Pinky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by billandlisa
We are going to do this for profit. We are not planning on getting rich! We are not in this for a big profit at all.
You seem to have the right mind set. I think you'll do just fine.

In your venture, you may want to map out the range so that you can have an outdoor practice range of spot targets. Almost all shooters wish to "warm up" a bit before starting a course of 3-D targets.

I agree with Chris that you need to incorporate the range business. If your husband's gun business in already an Inc., you're halfway there. Your accountant can be a big help on this.

If you have a DNR officer already on your side, he/she should be able to direct you away from trouble.

God bless you for wanting to do youth stuff. If you have not done a youth event yet, you will be amazed at the fun they have. There are some issues to be considered with youth events. But, the upsides far outweigh the downsides.

I will send you the info on who we purchase our liability insurance from.
You can email me at wrbh_Pinky@hotmail.com

-Pinky
Old 09-22-2004, 08:24 PM   #8
CA Rcher12

CA Rcher12 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to CA Rcher12 Send a message via Yahoo to CA Rcher12
Default ranges

this does'nt have anything to do with the liability papers and all that stuff but, PUT IN BOW HANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In my experience, I always wonder what the dust would do to my bow at the range if they weren't there.
CA Rcher12 is offline   Reply With Quote