Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 10-30-2007, 06:51 PM   #1
boneybobbo

boneybobbo is on a distinguished road
Default begining the bow hunting game

so i decided at the end of last season that i want to take up bow hunting. i went out and got me a new bow and all the trimings. ive been target practiceing for couple months not in the back yard, and ive actually gotten pretty good. my question is tho ive only been shooting from a level standing position, is there going to be a change in my shot from a tree stand. i know the shot is generly the same, but taking it from an elavated position changes the line of trgetory since you shooting down on gravity. has anybody seen any signifcant change in the shot placement from a stand?
boneybobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
I missed

I missed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneybobbo View Post
so i decided at the end of last season that i want to take up bow hunting. i went out and got me a new bow and all the trimings. ive been target practiceing for couple months not in the back yard, and ive actually gotten pretty good. my question is tho ive only been shooting from a level standing position, is there going to be a change in my shot from a tree stand. i know the shot is generly the same, but taking it from an elavated position changes the line of trgetory since you shooting down on gravity. has anybody seen any signifcant change in the shot placement from a stand?
well so far this season i shot a deer at 20yds with my 20yd pin down a VERY steep hill and hit like 5 inches high!...........and yes i was very steady on the shot!
Old 10-30-2007, 07:53 PM   #3
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

brokenarrow is on a distinguished road

Welcome...

The shot will change a bit but not drastically...You will want to hold higher on the animal because of the angle of the shot...

also practice drawing and shooting from the sitting position...it makes a big difference...and you may get stuck shooting from the sitting position.

Good luck to you.

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
killbambidead
bambi killer

killbambidead is on a distinguished road

yuo hit higher when shooting from an elevated position .. i dont no y but u just do
killbambidead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:02 PM   #5
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

brokenarrow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by killbambidead View Post
yuo hit higher when shooting from an elevated position .. i dont no y but u just do
It has to do with gravity...

Your pin is sighted in on a level plane...Gravity pulls the arrow down and the bow throws it forward..they fight each other

when you shoot at a down angle the arrow gravity has less of an effect on the arrow so it hits higher like it is flying faster...

I'm sure someone else can use a bunch of scientific mumbo jumbo but that's the jist of it...

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:29 PM   #6
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Wheely has a spectacular aura aboutWheely has a spectacular aura about

if you are standing shooting down hill, Bend at the Waist
Wheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:32 PM   #7
Werd

Werd is on a distinguished road

my dad always told me to aim around high because of the angle. say this for instance, you aim for the vitals lets say heart then the arrows shoots more down due to gravity and you hit lower so just practice up in your stand.and goodluck
Old 10-30-2007, 10:30 PM   #8
firechic
IKE refugee... hehe

firechic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post
if you are standing shooting down hill, Bend at the Waist
I agree with her. ALWAYS ALWAYS bend at the waist!!!!! It is the key! If you were to take a picture of you shooting normal (like at a target the same height as you were standing) and then take a picture of you shooting downward (Not bending at the waist).... you would notice you are no longer shooting in the perfect "T". Yes gravity does have a little to do with it, but not much. Most people end up shooting different because of their stance and were their draw arm is. It really is hard to explain. Just remember... BEND AT THE WAIST (Hips)!!!!!

BTW....
firechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:40 AM   #9
MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter is on a distinguished road

i take most of my shots sitting.... i would practice shooting sitting and standing.....and i dont know if anybody said this yet.... but bend at the waist!!
MichiganHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:20 PM   #10
Cablegaurd21

Cablegaurd21 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewTheMighty View Post
my dad always told me to aim around high because of the angle. say this for instance, you aim for the vitals lets say heart then the arrows shoots more down due to gravity and you hit lower so just practice up in your stand.and goodluck
AIM LOW! Not High! from an elevation if your sighted in on the ground. Gravity has LESS of an affect on the Arrow at an angle Not More!
Old 10-31-2007, 12:31 PM   #11
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Wheely has a spectacular aura aboutWheely has a spectacular aura about

I think you should practice and figure out if you need to aim low or high. It depends on if you are bending at the waist properly and the way you are shooting. I know when I shoot with a bunch of people sometimes, they will tell me to aim high/low, so I do, but because my form may be a little different then theirs when shooting at angles, my arrows will go the opposite. If you don't bend at the waist, your anchor point.

When I was shooting 3D, the guys had me pull up straight, anchor, then bend at the waist to the target. They had to physically help me bend the first couple times so I could get the Right feel of bending in the right place

Think of it this way. If you are shooting and bending properly, you should aim HIGH (when shooting down hill) cuz the arrow will be going in at a downward angle.

Good luck, hope we haven't confused the heck out of you or giving more advice then needed
Wheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:33 PM   #12
swintj1

swintj1 is on a distinguished road

It is simple Geometry. Think of a Triangle, and you are the top point...Your sight is set for a HORIZONTAL plane, so when you shoot down...your plane is not HORIZONTAL. You need to find the ACTUAL hoizontal distance from you to the target. If you are up 30 ft high (10YARDS) and the deer is 30 yards away from your line of sight...the HORIZONTAL aspect of the triangle will less. You need to find that distance and shoot for that.

MARKING is a great way to solve this. Put flags on trees that are CERTAIN distances from the base of your tree...that way you can compare where the deer is relative to your 10,20,30 yard flags on the trees. That will eliminate the need to buy those range finders that account for the angle....

HOPE THIS HELPS!
2008 Mathews Apex 7
2007 Hoyt Vectrix
swintj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:37 PM   #13
bullspotter

bullspotter is on a distinguished road

It depends on alot of things, how high up are you, how flat is your bow shooting, how far is the shot, You do need to learn to bend at the waste like others have brought up, proper form is the best starting place, also you need to know where to proprly hit the deer from an elevated spot, The best thing to do is practive from your stand or elevated spot, we all have different forms, equipment and ideas about it, what works for me, may not work for you, you need to find what works for you! Good luck!
bullspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:09 PM   #14
boneybobbo

boneybobbo is on a distinguished road
Default thanks

i appricate all the advice everyone has given. there is a lot of things i guess i will have to look at. but it seem that want it is all going to boil down to is PRACTICE. Thanks to all have posted its nice to know there are people out there and are will to share their advice. thank you!!
boneybobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:54 AM   #15
dustinpedley

dustinpedley is on a distinguished road

my stands are generally about 20ft. high i aim where the white of the belly meets the brown body hair is, aim tight on the shoulder with my 20 yd. pin and its worked fine for me in the past, both lungs, but thats just what i do. set up a stand and take a 3d target and monkey around with it till you find somthing that works.

good luck

Woods: Mathews Switchback, Trophy Ridge 5 pin, QAD Rest, Maxima Arrows

GO TEAM 3!!
dustinpedley is offline   Reply With Quote