Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 01-29-2006, 10:00 PM   #1
mnhunter50

mnhunter50 is on a distinguished road
Question How would someone go about entering shoots

I am only 14 and i am not that great of a shooter. I can put a pretty good group. Are shoots expensive and time consuming or are there small little tournaments. Please fill me in.
mnhunter50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:08 PM   #2
bowtech_shooter

bowtech_shooter is on a distinguished road

I am 14 also. Here in central Missouri shoots are about $10.00 and they are usually in the morning. They usually start at 7:00 am and you usually turn your cards in around 3:00 pm. The deadline for registration is usually 10:00am and its about and hour after 3:00 to wait for trophies.
bowtech_shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:15 PM   #3
mnhunter50

about how good does someone have to be to do good in a shoot. I am not really good so i dont want to show up to one and be the worst.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:26 PM   #4
MoBowman

MoBowman is on a distinguished road

MN, My best advice to you is not to worry about showing up and being the worst shooter. Show up, do your best and most of all have fun. Thats the most important thing, just have fun. Practice as often as you can and in time I'am sure you'll become a good shooter. Don't worry about where you place or how many people out shoot you, with enough practice, in time you will be able to hold your own. Good Luck

MoBowman ```---------->
MoBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:34 PM   #5
bowtech_shooter

Well being 14 you will shoot in the youth division and there is usually not very many people in that division. If you can group good and you know where the bullseye is and you take your time then you will probably do pretty good. I have been shooting for about a little over a year now and ive only gotten 2 trophies out of about 10 shoots ive been to. If you start going to shoots you will start getting better. You should go to the shoots and have fun and not worry about taking a trophie home but still try your hardest.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:40 PM   #6
mnhunter50

Thanks for all the info on shoots. I just wanted to know if you guys go through arrows kind of fast. I have about 16 and the used and the inserts fall out so i have to go get them put back in i also go through lots of arrow heads because i lose them. Here in MN its is still snowy so the only time i can go out is when its not really bad weather. Once it gets better and around summer i would like to try to go to one shoot and try it out. Are there any requirements for them or can anyone enter.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:19 AM   #7
bowtech_shooter

You dont really go through alot of arrows and there isnt any requirments.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:10 PM   #8
Radar
Story of my life

Radar will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

When I first started out shooting tournaments I was pretty nervous. As long as you shoot to the best of your abilities, you should'nt care where you place. You will over time become better by practicing. Not just flinging arrows but by practicing good technique. Being new you definitley do not want to pick up any bad habits because they are hard to break. Also by going to your first tournament you will see the scores of others in your class and it will be a good place to make your first goal, to get to that score and beyond. Also talk to other people and ask questions when you have them many times I have picked the brains of some really good shooters for questions that I have had. Also if there are any archery clubs in your area that have winter leagues get involved with them because they will help you get more experience.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:40 PM   #9
Pinky

Pinky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhunter50
I have about 16 and the used and the inserts fall out so i have to go get them put back in i also go through lots of arrow heads because i lose them.
3D ain't that. Nor is hunting.

You may be 14. If you are, you should have sense enough about yourself to understand that target shooters/bowhunters typically do not have inserts falling out. And, they don't lose arrow heads on a regular basis.

Of your 16 arrows, how many are the same?

If you really want to better yourself, as a shooter, clean yourself up.

Last edited by Pinky; 01-30-2006 at 10:57 PM.
Pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:17 PM   #10
mnhunter50

The reason they fall out is because i mess up and at the archery reange near my house the back stop is a big wood wall and when i try to get the arrows out sometimes it will come out clean and others it will either pull out the insert or you have to unscrew the arrow and just leave the arrow head in the wall. I want to emaill or speak to the person in charge and tell them to put up some kind of foam or rubber to better stop the arrows if some one misses. It has only been there for 3 months and it is just riddled with broken arrows that people are to lazy to try to get out so they just snapp them off. I have only lost 2 arrows other wise the rest i find and am able to get repaired. I am good at hitting the target close but i havent sighted in my bow for 20 yards. so it is either hit or miss and those misses result in a arrow hitting the wall and haveing the inserts come out.
mnhunter50
Old 02-01-2006, 06:52 PM   #11
Radar
Story of my life

Radar will become famous soon enough

Most all clubs have wood around there backstops. And when you say that you find arrows and are able to get them repaired, are they the same as what you had origionally? You need to be careful about the arrow that you are shooting because if they are different sizes or if they are cut to different lengths they will not group together. how accurate are you up close? If you are shooting a good group at 10 yds. move back to 15, then when you get good at 15 go back to 20. You should'nt be missing the entire back stop that often, if when you are drawn and it does'nt feel good or your shaking alot let down take a breather and try again. no sense in firing a shot if it does'nt feel right. My advice would be shoot the same size arrows all the time, make sure they are all the same length with the same size tip. get comfortable with close range shots and work on your form, before you go back to a longer distance.

Last edited by Radar; 02-01-2006 at 06:56 PM.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:41 PM   #12
mnhunter50

Its not that i find them its just that i have found mine that missed my target. At about 15 yards i can put 5 arrows with in a couple inches. I have shoot one arrow into another.