Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 11-05-2007, 07:10 AM   #1
tnts79

tnts79 is on a distinguished road
Default Big Public Ground Buck Got AWAY!

Ugh.... I don't even want to tell this story. I get in my stand around 2:15 PM perfect SW wind little bit breezy, but according to weather.com the wind was going to die down in the evening! The wind just helped cover my noise getting to my stand. So the first couple hours go by like usual, around 4:15 no wind, and I hear some rustling from the NW(bedding grounds) approximately 60-70 yards from my stand. Three does make their way into the open grass field about 50-60 yards north of my stand. Keep in mind my stand faces straight west. I watch them for about 30 minutes and they gradually make their way back into the woods where they came from and mill around eating acorns. Well the lay of the land is such that I am seated in the northern part of some low ground with a decent sized plateau to my southeast that tapers down to a point directly to my south. I am 18-20 feet up in my stand and I can see across the top of the high ground, pretty much eye level with whats about to walk up on top of it....... The big plateau kinda tapers down to a point directly south of my stand and transitions to the bottom ground and the dry creek bed. Well around 5:10 or so I hear some rustling on the other side of the high ground, so I turn left to see if I can pick up movement, sure enough I see the top of a tree on the other side of the point move back and forth. So I slowly stand up and turn to face south, sure enough I see horns...BIG ONES. Release is clipped on the buck walks to the top of the point, turns broadside at 30 yards and I go to draw and my tether on my safety harness is directly behind my left arm....I am left handed. I go to unbuckle the caribeaner from the tree strap and it makes an awful sweak, so I stop the buck looks around and just puts his head back down, unaware, I try it again same result. Frustrated and excited, I just studied his rack and body at 30 yards (broadside) enjoying my slice of humble pie! I would say is g2s are at least 10"-12" his g3's are around 7"-8", nice long mainbeams, and 6"-7" brows. Probally around 275-280 lbs. A 4 1/2 or 5 1/2 year old buck, easily in the 140's on public ground. Well he made his way due southeast down the top edge of the plateau, I get my strap unbuckled, out comes the buck roar and the rattlebag, hit the grunt first and stopped him at around 70 yards, he started to walk away again and I picked up the bag, sure enough the first 5 seconds of horns he headed back my way, made a circle on top of the high ground, grunted, I snort wheezed at him and he was on his way back in on a string..... He got behind a big tree coming straight in and I heard something come down the hill hard and fast breaking branches on its way to my SW. Never saw either buck again, sat till dark, and snuck out of there. I hope I have another crack at him or another one.... I thought my heart was going to explode. Sorry for the longwinded story, but I had to post it.
5575 GT XT Hunters/G5 Tekan-II/Tru-Ball Copperhead
tnts79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:11 AM   #2
IChim2
IChim2 and he's a shooter

IChim2 is on a distinguished road

I'm right handed and i've had that(teather) strap in the way of drawing.I know it's not cool to do this(but figure as long as you have it connected to the tree) but have a longer one which allows me to connect so that it droops a little more and become's less taunt when i turn or bend down.
IChim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:58 PM   #3
kbohunt
are u a fat boy?

kbohunt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kbohunt
Default Man!

Sounds like a " JOE-NAILER"
Gettem!
The strap, i started using the new Summit strap its awesome and stays out of the way.

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
Arrows..beman ICS hunter
SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
FBSA-MEMBER
Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A
kbohunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:38 AM   #4
tnts79

tnts79 is on a distinguished road

I figure if I lower the strap on the tree I would be able to draw back over the top of it. Instead of having it directly behind my arm. Lesson learned...
5575 GT XT Hunters/G5 Tekan-II/Tru-Ball Copperhead
tnts79 is offline   Reply With Quote