3d target question

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by stickandstring, Sep 17, 2006.

1. stickandstring

stickandstring Junior Member

I just purchased the delta 3d target. It looks great, but I am looking field points and inserts in it. It is very hard to get the arrow out. I guess its because they penitrate so deep. I am shooting carbon arrows. I am going to get new inserts put in tomorrow. Do you guys think that the inserts were not glued in well enough when purchased, or is that to be expected with the target. Thanks in advance

2. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

First, I would say they are not glued in properly. Some people will use fletching glue on their inserts and thats not a good thing in my book. A good strong epoxy will work good.

Also, you might want to get some type of silicone spray and wipe your arrows down every 3-4 shots while shooting. Makes it easier to pull out of those Delta tarkets.

3. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Yes Sir you can take a small cake of soap, like from the hotels,and make you a small indention in the the midle and rub it along the bottom third if the entire shaft and the oils in the soap will keep it from sticking. I 1st saw this in the mid 90's with a guy who is now a pro. It reminded me of a fellow chalking up his cue for a shot., Hopes this works for you as the other will do well to. God Bless, Holy Smokes

4. stickandstring

stickandstring Junior Member

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate it. I will check on the arrows and will pick up some lube. That is real helpful. I love shooting the deer instead of the bag. Its so much more fun. I just don't like messing up arrows.

5. Sportsman

Sportsman Member

Arrows plain or fancy camo?

I had some fancy Beaman's once(camo) that I had to tip my targets on the side and stand on them to get the arrows out. When I went back to the plain black ones (goldtip) they come out allot easier. I think some of the stuff they use to put a camo pattern on the arrows make them harder to get out. If you like your arrrows then you'll just have to dip them everytime you shoot.

6. Hoyt101

Hoyt101 Banned

yeah same hear i have beman ics 400s camo
    and they stick like crazy lol buti like my camo
    lol and yeah my dad and i use the soap trick

7. Blue Mts

Blue Mts Junior Member

Superglue

I use superglue and it works great. And to get them out is still possable by heating them up good and hot.

8. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I belive that it is a no no to heat the carbons up. You mihgt heat the point in the insert and get them out. I do not know :noidea: why you are not suppose to heat carbon arrows up. Hope this helps, Holy Smokes

9. if you want to get your inserts out of a carbon arrow dont heat up the arrow itself,put a field tip in then heat the field tip the heat will travel down to the insert and melt the glue then it will slide right out and wont hurt your arrow:rockon: if you heat the arrow up or the feild tip to much you will ruin the weave on the inside of the arrow (hands on experiance:doh: )
    after you tear up that delta target invest in a rinehart target you want need soap or any other kind of crap on your arrow's. you can pull your arrow's out of a rinehart taget with your pinky finger.

this target looks really good in the woods behind my house scared the crap out of my mother in law:laugh:
    Velociraptor
    Height 4'6"
    Length 8'6"
    Simulated Wt. 300#

10. awmp

awmp Junior Member

Great post, I have the same problem, new to 3d and getting my arrows out was not fun at all, I have to tip the target on its side and give it the ole college try pulling the arrows out, I must say my wife and son did like the show.
    I see a bar of soap in my future, great idea.
    Going to Cabellas next weekend, any recommendations for 3d deer targets? I have only been shooting the layerd foam targets, "the box".

11. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

I'm surprised no one gave any recommendations for Woody's Arrow lube, I think the stuff works great on those Deltas and McKenzie targets.

For your inserts coming out --- I have been using Tim’s Goat Tuff glue for everything, I have never had any issues with loosing inserts.

12. two_shoes

two_shoes YOU! Get in my belly!

I just use travel soap from a hotel. I put it on a rope (I was in the Navy :biggrin1: ) I get 100+ of those things a year. I'll post a pic when/if I get home.

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

i didnt know dropping the soap was a problem on the 3d course.....makes me think twice about the whole going to the Dredly 100.......:noidea:

14. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

:hug: :hug: :hug:

15. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

so, IB4HOYT, when did you get dredly's password?????

16. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

see I keep trying to tell Chris somone else has my password and is the one who keeps posting all this crap and I only post the useful stuff... but for some reason he doesn't believe me :noidea:

17. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I wonder why????:laugh:

18. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

That's funny, cuz Bowman keeps complaining about not getting credit for all his posts...coincidence????:noidea:

19. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I think someone has been hacking the site chris.....

20. Spoon13

Spoon13 Just a squirrel!

I have a McKenzie and don't have a lot of problem getting my arrows out. I've used my Easton Epic's and my Linejammer 350's and have to pull but it's not too bad.