4 pin sight

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by chuck7413, Mar 1, 2007.

1. chuck7413

chuck7413 Senior Member

I am buying a new sight for my hunting/3d bow and the one I like best has 4 pins. What are the advantages/disadvantages of a 4 pin sight?
    Thanks

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

as opposed to???? If its what you like best go w/it.....

4 pins will take up more of the sight picture than a a 3 pin but less than a 5 pin.....

which sight are you looking at??

3. chuck7413

chuck7413 Senior Member

Extreme RT900. Any opinion on it? Thanks.

4. sham20

sham20 Junior Member

Extreme RT900

I currently shoot the RT900 and absolutley love it! The pins are extremely bright and give a great sight picture. The only problem i have had with them is the fibers breaking. In the back of the pins they are exposed and a couple of them broke but a very minor thing with a cheap fix. Hope this helps. :biggrin1:

5. mdewitt71

mdewitt71 Senior Member

I shoot Viper Archery sights which are very similiar to Extremes...
    A very quality sight built real tough and they have stainless steel pins and screws.

6. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

I bought 4 pin sight after I had a three pin sight. I thought i would like to have my pins set at 20,30,35, and 40. Didn't like that because my pins were so close and it blocked out the target. I took the fourth pin and dropped it down all the way so I can't see it and it is out of the way. It is a Viper Predator sight and I love it. The pins are .19 and are very bright. I use it for both 3d and hunting. Hope this helps. Keep shootin

7. slamdam

slamdam Senior Member

viper sight is what I shoot.

8. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

why get a 4 pin and not a 5 pin?

20 - 30 - 40 - 50 as opposed to 20 - 30 - 40 - 50 - 60.

If you only want 3 pins you can remove extras, if you want 5 you can put them back in. I personally shoot a Spott Hogg Reall Deal (5 pin sight) in a 2 pin configuration for hunting but I put all 5 back in for 3-D shoots.

The trick is to get the pins to where you are comfortable with them. so if you don't like the pins being close make them:

20 - 35 - 45 - 60 - 80

Its very rare that a target will be exactly 20 30 40 away. more then likely you'll be shooting a lot of odd numbers so make you sight however you are comfortable with it and go from there! :)

9. mdewitt71

mdewitt71 Senior Member

As much as I sometimes hate to do, :noidea: I agree with ya on that on Dred :biggrin1: :peace:

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I second that............:tape:

11. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I love my Black Gold Flashpoint 4 pin sight. The sight was slightly used by WPBowmaster(1 day). Set at 20,30,40,50 for me its simple and for me thats GOLDEN.:laugh:

12. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

The simplier you keep it on that bow the less ya have to tear up out in the deer woods. A 4 pin is really good way to go. I agree with the ol BHh on the 20 30 40 50 . Not that I have ever seen a time that a 50 yard shot was agooden( for Bowman- A good One) one in the woods. Lots of trees between you and them deers. I like them 12 to 23 yarders. Don't many get away at that range> HS

13. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

sightpin's

I just thought i would throw my 2 cent's in to make it more intresting.
    I use a true/glow ring 1 pin 28yard's on a mach-10 prototype for hunting.
    4 inch's high @ 5yd's & 4 inch's low @ 42yd's,this is at 321 on allunimum with 75 grain rocket's. this work's for me it may not for you,i use a 4pin hog 3-d & 2x stans.indoor,but for hunting keep it simple and accurate your not shooting paper and if anyone is shooting deer at 60yd's they need to re-think if there bowhunter's or rambo!!!!!!!!!:amen: