80% vs. 75% hold

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by theotherguy, Jul 1, 2008.

1. theotherguy

theotherguy New Member

Aside from holding a certain poundage at full draw with an 80% cam or 75% cam, what is the advantage and disadvantage on the 2? Does 75% connote that because you are holding more poundage equal faster arrow at the time you release the arrow? Help, I'm a newbie.

2. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

5% isn't enough to hardly notice. 65% & 80% you can notice. Some people prefer to hold a little more weight, it helps them to settle in or concentrate or whatever. I've shot both and I do think there is something to it. If I wasn't interested in setting a bow up as primarily a hunting weapon I'd consider going back to a 65% let off; but when you might have to hold and wait for that deer to step out the higher let off sure is nice. The speed loss between the two isn't enough to worry about, at a 5% difference it's almost nothing. If I was trying to decide between two bows the difference between 75 and 80 percent wouldn't even enter in to it.

3. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yeah I would agree with what dbdcougar said for sure.

I lot of target shooters I know, including me, like a higher holding weight and a really solid back wall at full draw. You can pull back against that and kind of have a feeling that you are just waiting for the release to go off and focus on the target. That's hard to explain and I've never heard anyone explain it so anybody else could understand. It just comes from experimenting and shooting a lot and talking to others to gain more information. I use a 65% letoff for indoor, but I use about 75% for hunting and 3D.

When you are hunting you might have that bow at full draw for quite a while waiting for a ligitimate/ethical shot.

5% difference in letoff cannot be much that you can really feel, 15% difference is quite a bit more.

If you are interested in seeing what letoff has on arrow speed download a trial version of On-Target. www.pinwheelsoftware.com

You can enter some numbers in a relatively easy to use interface and see what the speed differences are.

Also, when hunting, speed is not necessarily the thing that drives the bow/arrow killing solution. It's kinetic energy, broadhead type and associated arrow tuning to match your bow setup which should equal good arrow flight.

As fast as hell bow with poor arrow/broadhead flight don't mean much against a slower bow with good arrow/broadhead flight.

Bowhunters have been harvesting deer with way slower bows than we use today for literally hunderds of years.

Hope that helped some.

Ron