A Riddle

Discussion in 'Offtopic' started by Chris, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Yes, it will take off no problem

10 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. No, it will sit stationary and never take off

13 vote(s)
    56.5%
  1. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Ok, here's a riddle for you...

You have a 747 sitting on a huge conveyor belt. This conveyor belt is controlled by a computer that precisely matches the speed of the conveyor to the speed of the jet, only going the opposite direction. When they throttle up, will the jet be able to take off?

2. ridgewalker243

ridgewalker243 Member

ridle

oops almost blew it

3. I said yes, but like I always say "what the heck do I know:noidea: ".

4. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I say No, because the lift that the plane needs is gotten by air passing over and under the wings. Without forward progress the plane will not get the air required to give it lift... then again I could be completely off :)

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I refuse to answer......

or all of the above....

neither of the above....

why do we park in a driveway and drive on a parkway.......

6. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Drive on a parkway? I think that depends on which parkway your reffering to :noidea:

7. Sportsman

Sportsman Member

Nope

Just spinning the wheels

8. CSS Shooter

CSS Shooter Senior Member

No

If they have the belt set to match the speed of the Jet the forces/speed will be equal and not allow forward motion. If the jet is moving left to right and the belt is moving right to left then the force/speed is equal. Unless I am having a brain Cramp which is possible. The wheels should not be moving. So like Dreadly said there will not be any uplift from air flow.

9. the reason I said yes is because the engines are pushing the body of the plane and not driving the wheels like on a car, so in my figuring the plane should still be able to move foward. But then again like I said before, "what the heck do I know".

How long do we have to wait for the correct answer????

10. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Only a guess...

I would say No..

I believe the plane relies on air to lift it off the ground. With the conveyor going the opposite way it won't create the wind resistance needed to lift the wings of the Jet.

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

not moving yes......but they are spinning.....:laugh:

12. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

No airflow no lift. Having said that we need to thing about this a little more carefully.

The thrust from the engines have nothing to do with conveyor belt. If it were a car, for example, the car would not move. If the airplane's wheels were driven then the airplane would have an issue for sure. We don't know if the airplane was moving forward and if so what the airspeed was and what airspeed would be required to allow the wings to provide the necessary lift to raise the aircraft from the ground.

Speed of the conveyor vs. the speed of the jet...

I am changing my vote to "We don't have enought information to answer yes or no"....

Ron

Last edited: Dec 19, 2006

13. if you read the riddle it says the conveyor belt is going to spin at the same speed the plane is moving, not at the speed the planes wheels are spinning. Riddles usually are in tended to throw you off. The only thing the conveyor belt is going to do is make the tires spin at twice the speed that it normaly would. The plane would continue as it would on any run way, just the tires speed would be affected, so if the plane is moving then the plane will have lift which will get it off the ground.

14. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

you all are reading too much into this one I think.....

15. isn't that what riddles are all about??:biggrin1:

16. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

I think its going to push the conveyor so fast that it will catch on fire, then it will not work, but the plane will be close to taking off, but they used up to much of the runway, trying to keep it on the stupid conveyor, then a big gust of wind will come up and blow the plane over sideways causing a wing to hit the ground, wich causes the plane to skid out of controll sideways into the west end of the airport, wich was thankfully not in use due to construction..... Thats what i think will happen!!!!

Then the new riddle is how long dose it take to fix the airport? :laugh:

17. bullspotter

O i also voted yes it will take off, moving air makes planes fly not wheels turning, you hold a 747 wide open throtle..... uhhh it pry will move.... Thats my guess any ways... so chris, when you going to reveil the proper awnser here....... some of us might loose sleep!!!!

18. And I thought I was reading to much in to this riddle:laugh:

19. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yeah sometimes he is an overreading overacheiver........

20. bullspotter

na i cant read relly well good or spelll veyr good, but i am a overreacheirver....... hehe just like someone else on here who needs a :hug: ...... :laugh: