Accidental Dry Fire

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by radtuck, Aug 14, 2006.

1. radtuck

radtuck Junior Member

I recently bought a used (2005) Hoyt Ultramag. It's an awesome shooting bow! Anyway..I was messing around with it, and pulled it back without my release, and my fingers slipped off the string (very humid day and my fingers were sweaty), and it dry fired. The only thing I noticed so far, was that the peep site came off. I put it back on and shot a couple of times after I inspected the bow, and it seems to work fine. Just curious if anyone knows if a single dry fire is a terrible thing...not that it is a good thing...but are there any problems that may result that aren't apparent from visual inspection? Any comments would be appreciated.

2. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

It SHOULD be okay (not saying it is!) - The new hoyt's are designed with split limbs to signifigantly reduce the destruction caused by dry-fires.

3. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I have seen many different brand bows dry fired and most of the time everything was just fine. But I would take it to the shop and have them check it out just to make sure. The least little thing you miss could very well get you or a bystander seriously injured. Stay safe and I am glad you were not hurt at all.:peace:

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Just wondering if this is humor.....

I always said that hoyt came up w/the split limbs because of all the broken ones sent back in the first few years they were in business.....heard they had enough till the year 2025......:laugh:

5. radtuck

radtuck Junior Member

Thanks to all replies to this post....I had the bow checked out today by my local archery shop, and everything is O.K. I was cussing myself all day after it happened, but I'm glad it's not damaged. It still shoots good, too. From the comment, I assume you don't like Hoyt bows, Bowman. I've never shot a Matthews, so I can't give any comparisons.......whatever flings your arrow, right? I guess that this would be the best I can come up with for an archery saying. How bout........"Ten ring on 3....ready.....BREAK......."Down.........SET.......HOYT 1......HOYT 2......HOYT 3".....That was pretty lame, I know....but it's the best I can do for now. :biggrin1:

6. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Nope, 100% fact... I think

It was discovered that when a bow was dry fired the limb damage normally appeared in the middle of the limb due to the way it flexes and bends. So somone took the next logical step and got rid of the middle of the limbs.

This allows both limbs to flex and bend without hitting each other and it dissipates the energy much more. There is no other advantage to using split limbs other then this. Sorry Hoyt lovers.

Instead of going with split limbs a lot of the other bow manufacturers have re-enforced the limbs around the wheels/cams to make them more durable then the rest of the limb as this is where most of the cracks occured in dryfire testing

and as a side not something like 80% of the bows sold anually in the US are solid limb designs :)

PS: If you decide to test out my theory and dry fire the crap out of your hoyt I am not responsible.. although I would like to see pictures :)

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

If you were drinking heavily you could have come up with something better then that :peace:

8. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Glad to hear everything is ok with your bow radtuck. :rockon: Don't pay any attention to Bowman he has a few issues, but he is actually pretty harmless and can be quite humorous at times. :laugh:

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I will second that......

I'll have you know that I am funny all the time Frank!!!!! :laugh: just ask me......

10. killbambidead

killbambidead bambi killer

huh itd b nice to find a cheap hoyt and see what does happen

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I thought all hoyts were cheap???????

12. killbambidead

:laugh: cheaply made but hoyt thinks theyve got somethin u looked at the price tags ?

13. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

well cant be all bad hoyt still sells alot of bows....

14. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Ouch! - I thought the more you pay for something the better it is...

15. lungbuster

lungbuster Senior Member

switchbacks break.....

I was at a shop that sells both mathews and hoyt. and he had 2 switchbacks that people came in and pulled them back. and whoops dry fire both broke, Bad!!!!!! One a piece hit the vault ceiling . He said he see this alot people come in pull back the bow it slips. But he said that hoyt are ok most of the time.....but I wouldn't want to be with in 100yds of one of the switchbacks if it happened.....

16. killbambidead

its supposed to work that way jay are but occasionaly it doesnt

17. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

That'll teach them for only using one cam! those silly Mathew guys will never learn haha :doh:

18. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Yeah cuz if they wood just lern and put nuter 1/2 a wheely thingy on them their bows it wood bee alll beeter rite??????:tape: :laugh:

19. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

See you ARE learning. I'm so glad I could be here to see you have this breakthrough :rockon:

20. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

keep dreaming.......