Advantage of carbon vs. aluminum

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Brett Cantrell, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Brett Cantrell

Brett Cantrell Junior Member

I am interested to know the advantage of carbon arrows vs. aluminum if both must weigh the same( as in 5.5 gr. per lb. min arrow weight ).

For example, I shoot 27.5" 2312 X7's that weigh approx 343 grs. set up with 50 gr. bullet points, and 3" feathers out of an old CSS System Three one cam set at 63 lbs. These arrows are as light as I can go without reducing the draw weight. The bare shafts weigh 9.5 gr per inch.
    They have a really poor F.O.C., but they shoot pretty well, as far out as 60 yds..go figure!

The Easton chart shows some carbons that are spine'd the same (A/C/E for example) but weigh as little as 7.0 gr per inch.

If I were to choose the A/C/E's, I'd have to add on weight (via heavier points and vanes to make the 5.5 gr per lb., so is there an advantage to carbon, or am I missing something???

Brett

P.S. This is my first post...I just got back into archery after 10 yrs and I have a lot to catch up on! Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

2. killbambidead

killbambidead bambi killer

:welcome: to the forum

carbon shafts are usually smaller resulting in more penetration. they also dont bend like aluminum shafts

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

first let me say welcome to you.....
    so by placing the weight from the shaft to the tip your front of center magically gets much better.....

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Welcome...
    It's personal preference,IMO...

5. MO.HICK

MO.HICK Senior Member

I like carbons because they seam to be more dourable. (they dont bend)

Mo.Hick

6. Brett Cantrell

Brett Cantrell Junior Member

Thanks for the welcome and replies.
    I think I'll add some weight to the bullet points and crank up the draw weight a little and stick with the X7's...I've got three dz. left over from when I was active in 3D.
    Now, if only the weather here in RI would clear up a little.......:lol:

Brett

7. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

:welcome: :welcome: to the forum glad to have you here with us.

The main advantage I think is that guys want a lighter arrow with more durability. I started shooting some X-Weaves last year and really like them alot but I also shoot some monster 2219's they are not light but very durable.

Like brokenarrow said it is a personal preference thing. I like and shoot them both. So good luck in the ole comeback I came back last year after about a 10 year layoff too.

8. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Another option is the combination carbon/aluminum arrows like the Easton A/C/C and Axis FMJ. I know several people who use the Axis FMJ and they love them for durability, straightness and the ability to pull them out of targets. My Axis carbons can be a real bear to pull from 3D targets... The FMJ's are a lot easier and people I know who shoot 3D and don't hunt use aluminums since they are a lot easier to pull from targets.

Ron