Almost the best day of hunting ever...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Dredly, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I got up at 4:30 am, was cold, my buddies sent me a text message saying that they were bailing so I said screw it and didn't go out (hence my Pansy post)

at about 9:30 or so I went out, got ready and walked into the woods.

within 5 yards I saw a deer, decent sized doe, she was about 35 - 40 yards away, i had a coat on my shoulder, my release on my belt, my tree stand on and my packs on my other shoulder, all my arrows in the quiver. So I quietly put everything down and get ready for it to walk over, finally she turns and hops off after I was kneeling and ready to draw for about 10 minutes. Normally if the deer run they'll pick up a trail so I figured I'd go watch the trail I expected her on, left all my gear on the ground except my bow and release.

Went and stood in a spot where she wouldn't be able to see me and not 2 minutes later I see 2 deer coming, definately different ones. As I look I see antlers on one, they decide to come around the other side instead of sticking to the trail so I quietly turn around so I have a shot (keep in mind I'm on the ground)

The first one walks out and I draw and hold, he is a huge, huge spike, he probably weighed in at 140+ easy, just a massive body but can't shoot. He takes one more step and freezes with me still at full draw I don't want to let down because there is still another deer there somewhere! Finally he takes another step and the next deer starts moving too

So I figure I'll shoot the doe behind him, the "Doe" steps out and raises his head and I count at least 3 points which means he is legal and also a good sized body so I'm shaking as I've been at full draw for a while now, line up the shot and release...

So within 30 minutes of walking into the woods I saw 3 deer and shot my first buck. The rest of the story sucks

2. red44

red44 Senior Member

Please tell me you missed clean..

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yup, instant gradification hunts are cool......sucks about the rest of it though

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

you must have missed his other post:tape:

5. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

O.k.!

Is this yesterday or today?:noidea:
    Dont tell me!:doh:

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

well it has to be yestarday or he was illegally hunting in PA on a sunday:biggrin1:

7. red44

red44 Senior Member

I thought today. Hope not.

8. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Reading the other posts first and knowing the outcome, made me chuckle at the end of reading this one. :biggrin1: Good story with a crappy ending!!! :frusty: :frusty:

9. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Nope this was the post about yesterdays hunting. I can't hunt on Sundays...

although I think I'm taking off Tuesday and hunting all day. I can almost guarantee I'll at least see deer, I think getting back out will help me get over the crappy ending to yesterdays hunt and maybe I'll see him again :)

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I have had reincounters of the same deer, so here is to hopeing that you can gitter done!!!

11. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Great!

Great Job DREADLY ya didnt do it Twice!:laugh:
    Ya had me :scared: there for a minute!:noidea:

12. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

O

I dont know:noidea:
    Some states hunt on sunday!

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

PA is backwards........we hunt on Sundays here in NY

14. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

O.k.

Va is in the Bible belt we will never get ta hunt on sunday!:noidea:

15. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

somehow the "bible belt" misses New York as hunting in sundays in a no-no in Maine, Mass, Vermont...

anyway should be very nice day tomorrow, high of around 70, about 45 in the AM. The deer in my area are pretty patterned because of roads and houses and very little pressure in the area I hunt as no rifles can go there.

If he is still alive I'll see him again, maybe not tomorrow but eventually.