Another newbie - sort of

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by dsantilli, Jul 10, 2007.

1. dsantilli

dsantilli Junior Member

Hi everyone,

Another quasi-newbie as I have not had a bow in fifteen years and am now looking at getting back into the sport. I have tried two bows, namely the Martin Jaguar and the Bowtech Tomkat. Anyone have an opinion to either one of these or other? I am looking to spend no more that $500-$600 to get set up and out there playing whether it be target shooting or hunting.

Thanks,

Domenic

2. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

Welcome back to archery. I have no experience with the Martin, but will discourage you from it anyway. It seems they troll these sites with Paid to Post people so be skepticle.
    The Tomcat I have shot, and a couple of friends have them. They are very pleased with it. Not the newest tech, but a very credible choice.
    If there is a club a reasonable distance away I strongly encourage you to join. The fellas who are there will be a tremendous source of advice in shooting and equipment, and you will develop your skills much faster in thier company.

3. dsantilli

dsantilli Junior Member

Thx for the info. I shot both tonight and the bowtech was definitely a 'smoother' bow and felt a little nicer. My nephew has a Martin and likes it as well as his Dad which is why I was looking at them. Maybe it is time to broaden the search a bit and try some more out as I want something middle of the road so if I do stick with it then I have something that will last me a while.

4. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I am not a paid ta post fellar and have been shootin a martin fer 26 yrs and they have some of tha best equipment and service out there. I just set up my second ShadowCat this evening.

5. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

Look at new. A new, well set up bow is a pleasure. When you get used, sometimes things are whacked out, and you won't understand it. I know a good bow is costly these days, but it may save you some aggravation.
    Also, Test shoot Elite and Diamond. They are a bit less in cost, but good products. Hope you have a well stocked Pro Shop nearby. If not, take a trip. It would be worth it to test drive a bunch.
    Bowtech does have some nice stuff. Check out the Allegiance. Bet you like it.

6. dsantilli

dsantilli Junior Member

Trying out Sportsmans Warehouse at this point, I need to look around at the smaller shops for sure. I see that Diamond is owned by Bowtech. Are they the higher-end selection then?

7. J.C.

J.C. New Member

The Fred Bear Instinct is an awesome bow for about $399 msrp. I'm sure you can find one cheaper. I have a Bear Code, and they make excellent bows for the money.