Anyone use Moutlrie Game cameras

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by STRO, Sep 24, 2007.

1. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

Does anyone have any experience with the moultrie game cameras. I am looking at the 3.1 or 4.0 game spy cameras. How long is the battery life with them? How is the trigger speed? And are the pics at least half good as far as quality. I currently have a digital stealth cam and am very happy with it but am looking at getting a second digital camera. The moultries are much cheaper but I am worried about the quality and battery life with them. Please help me out here.

2. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Chasinggame.com gave them a good review especially for the price. I can't see how anyone would ever be willing to spend 250.00+ on an item which is going to be strapped to a tree and easily able to grow legs and walk off.

I was looking at getting one a while ago and was planning on going with a 3.1 (think they are around 100 - 125?) All its for is scouting, I don't need to be able to count the number of hairs on the neck of the buck, just the points :)

3. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I have two D-40's great cameras, I haven't tried any cuddebacks or anything, so as to comparison....:noidea: I have mine set up on a food plot and another set up on some intersecting trails. The trigger speed is right around a second, mabey a little more, my food plot is about 25 yards across if, I walk across the plot it catches me about the middle. I will attach some pictures taken with my D40's. I set mine up to take two pictures a minute. I used to have it on 3 pics every 5, but when you only get 1 picture of a nice buck, and then 5 minutes later hes gone:frusty: You may spend a little more and get one with the temperature stamped on the picture, not so much the moon phase(accurate???). The flash on the D40's is good to about 20 yards. As to battery life, im getting about 200-300 pictures a week and I get a month out of 6D batteries, about 3 weeks if I only change 3 at a time. I might try an infrared next year but, I can buy 3 d40's for one cuddeback...:amen:

4. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Just FYI I don't let the batteries get below 60%.

5. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Just another tip keep an eye on your clock, mine was somehow two hours slow?? Its not daylight at 5:08AM, it was 7:08 and those are the two twin bucks I have about a zillion pictures of!

6. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

I love the Moultrie, takes good pics. If it is the 6 volt batteries they last for a long time. I usually let the camera sit for about a week, I have it set for 2 pics every time it triggers and then it delays for 1 minute. I have had as many as 240 pics ina week and it still took my pic as I walked up to it to pick it up. It has a good reaction time to as far as how fast it takes the pic when it senses movement.
    Don't pay retail though, I got 3 of them off of EBAY for the price of 1 new one. Just check to make sure that the person you are buying from has really good feedback. Have fun with it, it really helps you scout some spots when you don't have the time to do it physically.

7. STRO

Bass Pro has the 3.1 Game Spy for $80, and it takes the 6 volt battery. With my stealth camera I can get about 300-400 pictures and leave it in the woods for two straight months without changing the batteries. It takes 6 C batteries. Will the moultrie with the 6volt do the same?

8. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I get too many pictures to leave mine for months at a time. My cam was at 80% on the 18th of sept. (last time I pulled the card), we will see what it is opening day when I go out there to hunt...? I give moultrie cams my business, its up to you.

9. STRO

I usually check my digital camera about every three weeks and just change out the memory card and check the batteries. I bought a spare SD memory card so I can leave the camera in the woods and go home to see what is on there.

10. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Same thing I do, I bought 4 cards and two cameras. Its like christmas morning when you start going through the pictures!:rockon:

11. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Might have a few of these waiting for ya! The 10 inch tall 3 pointer I threw in for laughs.

12. STRO

Now those are some shooters. I need to get a card reader so I can put some of the pictures up I have gotten so far. There's a couple really nice 10 pointers and I've got a giant 12 pointer that we are guessing at 170-180. If you need anyone to sit in a stand for you to keep it warm, I am very willing. I'll do anything to help a fellow 3dshoots.commer out.

13. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

170-180 is bigger than what ive got on camera, a guy that lives about a mile from where I hunt got this buck on his cam.:clap2: That bucks got stickers and kickers all over. Sorry for the poor quality, cell phone to cell phone then to email and paint. Garbage, but you get the idea! :rockon:

14. STRO

Wow!!!!!!!! That's a monster. You didn't tell me if you need me to keep your stand warm

15. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I just wish I had more time to hunt. Only 6 days of vacation to take, but we have 3 shut down weeks, last week of october, thanksgiving week and the week of christmas.

16. STRO

So I go to buy the moultrie 4.0 yesterday from walmart and the package says it is 4.0 and the directions are for a 4.0. I am all excited and open it up and nothing matches. The one in the package is a 3.1. Somebody must have switched out the two at walmart and probably got the 4.0 for the price of the 3.1. That's all I can think of. I am going to take it back at lunch today.

17. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

:mad: :censored: :censored: How much are they at wally world?? They are 109 at rural king here? I bought both of mine off ebay, muhahaha, $89 each!!!:evil:

18. STRO

They are $100 at Wallyworld for the 4.0 megapixel. Just returned it and got the correct one. Looks very simple to operate.

19. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I think you will be happy with it, if not give me a call and ill buy it from ya!

20. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Keep your reciept in case you have any trouble with it, moultrie will take care of you.