Arrow building for beginner

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by rock2tank, Oct 1, 2007.

1. rock2tank

rock2tank Junior Member

I would like to learn to make my own arrows, but don't have a clue what materials, etc. I need to order. Why does it matter which side clamp the fetching tool is ? The initial use is for target shooting for beginners, will buy a Genesis bow for young adults and want them to learrn to make their own arrows. Any suggestions welcome, price is not the limitation..want a learning experience ! Thanks.

2. hoyt_hunter007

hoyt_hunter007 Senior Member

The bitzenburger is a great fletching jig and very easy to use. Usually costs $65-70 new. From my understanding, right helical is used for right handed shooters, left helical is used for left handed shooters. Straight fletch can be used for either.

3. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

I agree with getting the Bitzenburger Jig...but I'd just stick with the straight clamp and you can do an offset which is fine for most applications. Easier to use vanes over feathers for beginners I think. Thre are lots of different ones but you would be fine with some that are a couple inches long for indoor use. There are lots of choices for those so check them out.

Goat Tuff is the glue I use and you don't need much at all. Less is more for that stuff. Denatured alcohol for cleaning the outside of the arrows.

4. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Yep!

He's right,The Blitz is the way to go.
    Right for right and left for left and stright for any!:laugh:
    Well i really dosnt matter to much any more except if you plan on latter building arrows for recurve or long bow shooters,they need to turn into the rest.
    I use Right helical and stright clamps,my preference!
    Ive had only 1 triad. shooter lefthand request left helical!:noidea:
    Hope this helps!
    If your fletching aluminum use Fletch-tite glue.
    And Carbon/graphite I use Beyond bond.
    There are many good bonding glues for Graphite on the market!
    Just try it,there are many new types of fletching your own arrows today.
    Even ones you dip in hot water!:noidea: :biggrin1:

5. Colo_Lee

Colo_Lee Senior Member

with todays fast drying glues I prefer to use a bohning if you are using glue that takes 15 + min. to set i would use the bitz
    Inmo the bohning with its magnet its easier to slide the fletching into place without slipping with the bitz and its stronger magnet I have a tendency to slip

6. rock2tank

rock2tank Junior Member

Beginner arrow builder

Thanks to all for the prompt and helpful responses. I will get the fletching tool, glue, vanes, etc and give it a try.

7. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

I've always used rt helical. But I only hunt with mine and don't do 3D. Also the type of rest that you use will determine Helical, Straight or possibly off set. I use the Blitzburger and also have the Ez fletch. I've been using fast fletch glue and haven't had a problem. The only problem I've seen with the left helical was that when you pulled the arrows out of the target the points would have loosened up due to the rotation of the arrows entering it. My left-handed friends all use rt helical or off-set. Except for the one that uses a Whisker rest. He shoots a straight fletch. You might want to read this

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2007-Carbon-Arrows/arrow-selection-guide4.htm

8. IAHunter11

IAHunter11 Member

I shoot left handed and use a right helical.. I don't seem to have any problems with it I don't think... Does it really make a difference on the helical???

9. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

As I said above... All the guys I know that are left-handed use Rt helical . (that is the one's that use helical). And they have no problem with it as far as I know.:noidea:

10. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

The only time a helical will make a difference is if you shoot feathers...Right wing = Right helical and left=left...
    As far as shooting the arrow doesn't start spinning till it's clear of the riser so the direction of the helical makes no difference...