Arrow feedback

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by SWIowaArcher, Feb 11, 2008.

1. SWIowaArcher

SWIowaArcher New Member

Ok Guys and Gals need some feedback from you all. Would like to know what type of arrows you shoot and the reasoning behind your selection. I’ve read on this forum that some of you like to use bigger, more bulky arrows for indoor (spot), why? Here’s my dilemma I want to shoot an arrow that will suffice for both indoor and 3D, something like the GoldTip Ultralight Pro X cutter. Does anyone shoot these? If so would like to know your thoughts. Thanks for the information.

2. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

Why? you ask why? I would shoot broomsticks if I could! The more surface area the better :rockon: I am shooting some fat shaft Victory X-ringers for 3D this year for the same reason....easier to hit that line!

3. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I shoot Carbon Express X Weave, cuz that is what the archery shop sold me :lol: and I get the most speed out of them.

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

The reason for the big arrow is line cutting ability...
    indoor is different from 3d in that yardage estimation and speed don't play any role in your equipment. But you can use the same arrow if you want, I use Carbon Express only due to past expieriences...CXL, Linejammers, X-Jammers are their fat ones

5. SWIowaArcher

SWIowaArcher New Member

Brokenarrow

Thanks for the reply. Ok I understand the larger diameter more chances for the ring, however, what about the speed factor? I'm sure I'm making this more difficult than it needs to be. My local shop stated to me Fatboys for indoor and Lightspeed for 3D. They did not recommend Fatboys for outdoor 3d, to light. But I would like to get the bigger shafted arrows for increasing my chances at more point in 3d. thoughts?

6. J.C.

J.C. New Member

Why did they think the fatboys were too light?

7. SWIowaArcher

SWIowaArcher New Member

Jc

I guess thats what they meant. They stated you need a fast arrow for 3D and recommended the Lightspeed. Now, how much speed is enough speed?:dizzy: And how much speed am I really loosing if I choose the Fatboys?

8. RxBowhunterKS

RxBowhunterKS Paddle in water

I think the fatboys would work fine for 3-d. The only thing to consider is on windy days they will be more affected than smaller diameter shafts especially on longer shots.

9. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

I shoot the xcutters and am very happy with them. I would add the pin nocks to them if you are going to shoot them. They will help with more consistant groups. However, I don't know what your setup is but they are a very stiff spined arrow. I am shooting my vectrix with a 30 inch draw at 65 pounds so I do not have a problem. I know of some people who had problems with the xcutters as far as having good groups because they were too stiff of an arrow. That's the only problem, they do not offer different spine in the xcutters.

10. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Alot of guys shoot Fatboys for 3d in my area...speed isn't needed but it helps...it's all yardage estimation, it doesn't matter how long it take the arrow to get to the target. :lol:

If you can estimate yardage correctly(+/-3 yrds) and your equipment is in tune you could shoot a 3d with broomsticks.:noidea: JMO

11. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

hi

I shoot only 3D and i use the same shaft for hunting
    Beman ICS 400, 8.4gr per.inch, for the speed
    I use to shoot indoor and 3D about 15years ago and used the same arrow
    A XX75 2512 which today is like a fatboy, so if i were to shoot the same arrow for both this is what id pic, the fatboy:biggrin1:

12. SWIowaArcher

SWIowaArcher New Member

To everyone, thanks for the info

Stro, you responded that you use the xcutters, yea, I saw on their site the xcutter have one spine I think .250. Thats the only thing that I question with those arrows. I researched so many arrows and combinations and I have yet to come to a conclusion on what would be best for me. Unfortunately, I'm short. I have a 26.5 draw and my arrows could easily be cut to about 26". Now, I believe the shorter the arrow the more spine the arrow naturally has? True? Not true?:noidea: I will say this, I like the Gold Tip web site and the "build your own arrow" program they have.

I'm still unsure on what I want to do I'm just trying to pick some brains here and get the consensus.

13. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

well if you are shooting for fun, then any arrow will work. But if you want to compete then any edge you can get helps. Large and heavy for indoor spots, large and lite for 3D (speed)
    I shoot Coblats for indoors.

14. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

I would think you might have problems with the xcutters since you have such a short draw. You could give them a try though. A lot of people around here use fatboys if they have troubles with the xcutters

15. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

The CX linejammer is sufficent for both
    i use this one.
    There is tremendous arrow flight on both set ups