Arrows, how do you choose?

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by thjacobi, Sep 6, 2007.

1. thjacobi

thjacobi Senior Member

I am probably asking a stupid question but I don't know anything about arrows so here it goes.
    How do you choose the length of the arrow you need? I would asume it would have somthing to do with your draw length but I am not sure. If it does matter, my draw length is 30".

2. hduc2005

hduc2005 Senior Member

some say to take a full length arrow and draw it back and have some one mark the arrow at about 1/2 to 3/4 inch in front of the rest.

3. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I usually put a long arrow on the bow I'm shooting, come to full draw and have someone mark the shaft about 1/2 inch in front of the rest. Then I take that arrow to the saw and set the length. Bow manufacturers calculate draw length as being from the nock to the deepest part of the grip at full draw + 1.75". Your 30" drawlength means that from the grip to the string on your bow is 28.25". If you're buying precut arrows I'd probably go with 29".

Hope this wasn't too confusing. :D

4. Onyx Z

Onyx Z Member

I draw a full length arrow and mark it 1/2" to 1" or so past the riser.

I'm using a Whisker Biscuit so a 1/2" in front of the rest w/ a broadhead would be way too close to my hand.

5. Werd

Werd Senior Member

:amen: i shoot whisker buisket also. i love it. i got 13 more FPS out of it...and yes it is really close to my fingers. Dale at lancaster archery cut mine really short so i got more speed. and put a pink fletching on my arrow LOL i cant ever lose an arrow. =]

6. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I just shoot whatever the Pro Shops give me, I mean sell me. They usually like to see how fast they can get my bow shooting :biggrin1:

7. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I use the charts to get the correct spine and usually try to get my arrows about 1" past my bow shelf.

8. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

same here. I also dont sacrifice speed for kinetic energy. Arrow weight is also very important...

9. thjacobi

thjacobi Senior Member

Wow I guess that wasn't a stupid question after all. Thatnks for all the info it will really help once I get my bow. It should be coming soon. :biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

10. Timmer

Timmer Member

The length is really a personal preference. But I'd leave at least 1/2"-1" past the rest at full draw. Depends on the style of cam. If you have a solid back wall you can go 1/2", but if there is a chance of bringing your string back further it could lead to an unsafe situation. I used to shoot with about 3" overhang with no problems.