Arrows needed for Guillotine broadheads?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by swintj1, Oct 7, 2007.

1. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Hey All,

I'm going to go turkey hunting in the spring, and I am going to purchase the Guillotine broadheads, but I have heard that I need different arrows in order for them to work. What is the set-up needed to be accurate with these?

Thanks! -Joe

2. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

I think Cabelas sells the right arrow for these. If not there try looking on their web site for the right arrow.

3. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

I contacted the company, and for any of you looking to get into a set of these, they require the arrow to go out past the bow when fully drawn, and then they require Blazer Vanes. Other than that, it should be fine. I wonder how you check accuracy with them before you take the REAL SHOT? I think they are more or less 1 time usage broadheads.

4. SinGin

SinGin Banned

I shoot a full lenght arrow 32 inches. If you shoot shorter ones the broadhead will hit your sights. I also use 5 inch full helical feathers. As far as practicing with them, I shoot mine into an old couch cushion. These broadhead were not really made to penetrate so most times they just bounce right off the cushion. You may be able to shoot them 3 or 4 times before you start to bend blades. I hope this helps some.

5. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Are you happy with them, or would you recommend just using standard broadheads?

6. Timmer

Timmer Member

I used them this past spring. Tried several combinations of fletching. The manufacturer recommended using 5" feathers with agressive helical. I didn't have very good luck with that. I also tried Blazers with little success. The best I found was to fletch 3 4" quickspins. Didn't connect, but I did miss a couple times. Next spring I'm going to experiment with 4 vanes/feathers. Keep you arrow long as it will need to clear your sight and hand.

7. SinGin

SinGin Banned

They are O.K. I wouldn't try to shoot them past 20 yards. You almost need alot of replacement blade to practice with. When you shoot an arrow 5 inches longer than it needs to be, they can sometimes have a mind of their own. Sometimes they will shoot great and sometimes one will take off for parts unknown. I would just hate to have that one crazy arrow be the one I shoot at a turkey with.

8. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

just fyi - I believe cabelas sells them with Gold Tip 7595's with an uncut (31") shaft + nock.

9. J.C.

J.C. New Member

Just shoot Grim Reapers and use the arrows you already have. :wave:

10. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

Muzzy's have always worked in the past for me.:noidea: