Back tension release.

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by IChim2, Jan 8, 2008.

1. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

Now that i feel like an idiot....could someone explain the difference between a thumb and back tension release and what are(if any) are the pro's and con's of both.Thanks

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

cons of a Back Tension........

takes a while to master:lol:

3. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

true!

And if u start tryin at indoor shoots
    Make sure the club or shop already has holes in the ceiling before u start shootin.:laugh:
    Then he cant blame it on u.:laugh:

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

dont take this the wrong way, I am not trying to say stay away from BT releases, just be prepared to put in some time to get it right.......

5. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Yes years, Pros of a thumb release, it can be fire with back tension. Then move up to that style of release.
    Cons on back tension is watching your scorw drop like a rock.

6. IChim2

Houston...................................................we have a problem.................and Wheels...would you be kind enough to delete the stupid thumb release thread i posted.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  7. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

ok

Let me try, and anyone jump in and correct me please.
    The thumb or finger or pinky release is just a trigger that u push to release.
    The back tention release can be thumb,finger and i think pinky release with a bt mechinism built in where u hold the bow at full draw,aim and when your ready for the arrow to release,u simply pull back future to release.
    hard to master i tried it and i cant use it,:noidea:

8. IChim2

Be right back...Gotta send a pm to someone.....:laugh:

9. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Kind of, you use back tension like trying to touch your shoulder blades together. Then done right it makes you elbow go down in turn rotating the release and it gos off. The best one to start learning BT with is a Evo
    :smokin:

10. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

right on......:amen:

11. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I'll say it. Stay away from back tension releases.....:biggrin1:

12. UltraElite 06

UltraElite 06 Vote for Pedro

Any style release thumb, index finger, hinge, pinkey, can be shot with back tension.Also all these releases can be punched. Back tension is a way of making the release go off using back muscles. If you are going to learn back tension start up close 5 yards no site no target just try to learn how to excute the shot and know what a good shot feels like.If you can get with someone who currently shooting with back tension for some pointers. It will be a slow progression towards better shooting that is well worth the effort.

13. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

You guys are a bunch of sissy's...:laugh: :laugh: I started shooting a true back tension release about 6 months ago and it was one of the best moves I ever made. I used to be a drive by shooter. Not anymore my scores were horrible and still aren't great by no standard, but I am getting a little better every time I get to the range. Sure I will have a super game once in awhile but I am getting more and more consistant. If I could shoot every day I am confident I could be shooting 300's regularly but since I only get to shoot about once a week I am progressing a little more slowly.

14. IChim2

Man,oh man.I've been shooting bows for 35years,and up untill now it has never seemed so confusing...hard to believe that something that looks so simple....could be one of the hardest things in archery to master.I can honestly say that i don't know anyone around me that uses these types of releases.."but i'm sure their are"....and reading all this here helps me to understand something i knew nothing about...Thanks everyone for posting on both threads and sharing their knowlege with me...i'm always willing to listen and learn.

15. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

:dizzy: I think your on the wrong forum:noidea:

16. IChim2

Thats really funny....one thing i know is that,most everyone on this site is stand up people.Bullfiddle was going to go out of his way to help me out and thats what makes this site what it is.I wish i had asked ?'s about these types of releases long ago and got a better understanding of how they work and what their used for.And now with everyones help...i do.

17. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

smaller is better sometimes:rockon:

18. two_shoes

two_shoes YOU! Get in my belly!

I just jumped in and started shooting one. I had watched a video about shooting the Stan and that wasn't back tension, it was a surprise release though. I was starting to get the jumpy target panic thing (yes I said it... TARGET PANIC) I have had a BT type release for about a year now and I am just getting to understand what true back tension is. I will still use it, but since I am working on shooting with real 'back tension' my scores have dropped. I think they will come back and go up in time. I just got a morrel bag and will set it up in the basement so I can set off a few arrows a day. :biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

19. two_shoes

You might hear that..... :tape: :tape: :tape: :lol:

20. two_shoes

My only beef with the Evo is if you creep out of the valley it goes off before you know it.... it's more of an oh :censored: than just a surpeise release...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That almost lead to a shorts change out....:doh: