back tension release

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by nyarcher, Aug 18, 2007.

1. nyarcher

nyarcher Member

who uses one for hunting?what brand do you prefer? I have never used one,but I would like to try one.:biggrin1:

2. red44

red44 Senior Member

Haven't had the guts to hunt with one but I have a sloution 2.5 (has a safety). Deffinately try it from the stand, angling down may change how the release goes off.

3. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Never heard of anyone using a BT for hunting. I would think on a live animal BT is not a good idea, but that is just my opinion. :noidea:

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I have to agree...those releases are very dependent on proper form...and if you don't use you back muscle in the right way the release can hang or go off premature??
    just my opinion, I have never hunted with one and there is a strong possibility I am talking out of my BUTT....:tape: :lol:

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

:lol: :lol:

6. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Not a good thing to do. If you had to face a firing squad? Would you want them to be blind folded and you not? Think about it that way.
    If you are going to kill it. Kill it right, do not play around and chance it.

7. nyarcher

nyarcher Member

I understand your point about using one for hunting.I shoot alot with friends and at the sugar hill shoot here.I have never used one but understand you can get better accuracy out of it simple from having better form.Is it (kinda) a suprise when it goes off?:noidea:

8. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

That or you end up holding forever it seems cause you can't get it to actually go off. Probably not a good thing for a hunting situation.

9. red44

red44 Senior Member

I think if you used one all the time you'd be fine, you can "trigger" them if needed. But I don't use it enough to be comfy with it.

10. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

You can back tension a wrist release. I shoot indoors with one of the best shooters I know and all he uses is a wrist release.

11. red44

red44 Senior Member

Yes, best way to use one too.
    All I meant was if you used a back tension release all the time, you'd probably be OK. Not for me though.

12. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

Agree!! I use a Tru-Ball Saber Tooth for hunting. Its a thumb trigger though. But I am used to the feel of a Bt style release in my hand. Also, the ST4 is good too.

13. red44

red44 Senior Member

NOT to highjack, but I've tried several thumb trigger releases, :doh:
    I can't let my thumb do the driving.

14. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

Practice. And get one thats adjustable to fit your grip and thumb.