Bass Pro Bites

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Fury, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Fury

Fury Member

I called Bass Pro Shops in Clarksville Indiana today, & asked them a question.

I asked if they had a Toxonics MK-9 55 Sights with the optional 9 inch extension bar.
    My bow, you need to understand is not designed for anything without a dovetail bar.

They said they had it right there in their hands as we spoke.
    I thought great I finally get my new sights.

Well I and my wife drove the 35 miles to your store.
    Waited for half an hour before someone even acted like they had the time to speak with us.
    I asked them about the sights that I had called about since I did not see them with any of the sights that were out.

The answer after another 15 minutes was I'm sorry for the inconvenience but we don't sell that sight.

I called to check so I wouldn't waste the gas, and that's it!
    Bad information, poor service, & a waste of $15 in gas, & the time it took to drive down there & wait on the staff.

They need to be organized a bit better, and be better informed about the products they are selling.

I was thinking of buying a new bow out there later this month, but after this.
    Would you buy an expensive bow from a guy that doesn't know the difference between the sights he's trying to sell, let alone have him work on the bow you have?

:mad2:

2. Fury

Fury Member

I know some one is gonna say it.

I know they will.:laugh:

3. Hkdfrlife

Hkdfrlife Senior Member

Bass Pro

I was in there Friday. Waste of time. out of everything in my size. Didn't have the Bino's I wanted in stock. I, not impressed with their stores or their management

4. Allen

Allen Senior Member

If we don't support our local archery shops, this is what the future of archery looks like.

Not every local shop is any better than these guys, but most have had some experience and training from the manufacturers that they represent.

Selection is often a problem with local shops. In that case support online shops like 3DShoots. Try to support the local guys and keep them in business. It's cheaper in the long run.

5. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

After being out of the sport for quite a while I bought a Diamond Victory bow at Gander Mountain. Bad news all around. Bad advice, poor advice, terrible advice. Ended up having a cable break and blowing my limbs to heck on the draw. Turns out that the stop was adjusted, by Gander Mauntain, outside the allowed range. The cam over-rotated and eventually wore through the cable.

In any event, horrible experience from a mass merchandiser. But I can say that Bowtech/Diamond fixed the bow for free because one of their agents messed up. The only original thing about the bow is the riser/grip. New everything else and it cost me $20 for shipping charges.

So, excellent service and support by Bowtech/Diamond, bad experience at Gander Mountian...

I still have the Diamond and use it off and on. Will probably sell it. I bought a Bowtech Allegiance.

My advice, after spending money and time with a mass merchandiser, go with a local shop with people who have a passion for this sport. Everyone has little bit different opinions on equipment/bows/etc.. but having sound advice and somebody who really knows the sport is a really good thing in my opinion.

Best of luck,

Ron

6. Instinctive_Shooter

Instinctive_Shooter Junior Member

Thats pretty bad our Basspro is an hour away but they take great care of their customers. The bow techs really know their stuff too must just be that select few store.

7. diamond-vic.

diamond-vic. Senior Member

i guess it deppends on the store becuase i always take my bow to gander mountain and the guy there is increadibly smart and has been nothin but a great help. or maybe i just got lucky!!:peace:

8. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yeah but it's probably a revolving door because the mass retailers don't pay decent wages and have no guts on the line. The smaller pro shops have a reputation to bolster and word of mouth to rely on. That in itself makes them better, even if they cost a bit more. I saw that the local Gander Mountain is looking for an experienced bow technician... Any of you can apply at www.gandermountain.com. It's the Davenport, IA store. That's not the store I got my Diamond but every time I go in there the people are different. That's bad in my opinion.

Ron

9. whitetail99

whitetail99 Senior Member

Well you can find butt head at mass market retailers you can find deceitfully idiots at Archery Pro Shops. The best value is a good pro shop that is will to try to fit your needs. Is it worth $8.00 more dollars per dozen arrows .66cents per shaft? For me yes. I can afford the extra money after all I am getting a recommendation to make the decision. But I stress this is from a guy who really makes his business to get you the right product.

10. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Hey Fury give Jimmy a call he can probably get your sight for you in a few days. Just be sure to call him before you drive all the way over. Good luck I hope you get your sight soon.:peace:

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

What town is this Gander Mountain in?

12. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Cabelas isn't any better! I went out there looking for a bow for shooting lefty (first time I ever shot lefty). I draw the bow back 2 or 3 times and it felt weird, figured it was cause I was shooting lefty and all.

So i throw an arrow on (all the time under the watchful eye of an "archery expert" and release. hit my arm from right before the elbow to the wrist, turns purple and starts bleeding instantly. The the "archery expert" looks at the bow and goes (i swear I'm not lying) "Oh, they set this up like a righty bow, the cable guard is on backwards, sorry about that. Would you like me to have them change it around so you can take this home with you?"

I almost killed him. This was AFTER waiting close to an hour for somone to help me.

They have 2 kinds of "archery trained" the people that anwser the phone know absolutely nothing, all they do is run the register at the archery dept. The people in the back working on the bows know next to nothing but the are the "experts"

13. HOYT4LIFE

HOYT4LIFE Guest

Seems as though they might be trying to out do Cabelas by throwing out a bunch of smaller stores. These stores are small and have a very small selection. I was at the one in Myrtle Beach and it was terrible. The restaurant(Islamorada Fish Company) was even worse. Drive to Cabelas it is worth the trip, they have it all and it's in the store!!!!!:biggrin1:

14. Home-a-lite

Home-a-lite Member

My father has the same type of bad experiences at Gander Mountain in southwest Pennsylvania. I stick to the "local" shops, but must drive more than an hour one way----something gained.....something lost as usual.

A few days ago I witnessed a fellow trying out some bows at Dick's Sporting Goods. I wanted so bad to tell the fellow...."not here."

15. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yes, the Dicks by me is totally worthless. It happens to be right down the street from Gander Mountain. Coincidence ?

Whomever does the merchandising there don't take into account what they are actually selling. The have replacement broadhead blades for broadheads they don't sell and broadheads they sell with no replacement blades. They have Carbon Express kids arrows but if you want a kids bow you have to special order it. I asked for a set of replacement blades for NAP Thunderhead 100's and the guy told me they didn't make replacement blades for those. BS, since it says right on the package that you can only shoot them 6 times before you have to replace the blades and retainers. Besides, I've purchased replacement blades before.

My local shop is so busy right now it's crazy. Takes a couple of days to have a dozen arrows cut down. Everyone here is in a buying frenzy before the season starts. It's tempting to go to a mass merchandiser but I'll just hold off and be patient.

Ron