BBD ...... At The Last Minute

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by STRO, May 2, 2007.

1. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

So this turkey season has been very tough. I've watched the same 21 birds for four days a total of roughly 9 hours. They just wouldn't come in close enough, or cross the property line. Today is the last day of 3rd season so I call in sick to work because I have the gobbling fever. Today is different, birds are roosting in totally different spots. I think to myself this is a good omen. Well, it does start off good. Right away I have a big gobbler with a couple hens that are closing the distance until they get to 50 yards and then they hang up. I figure with my super full choke I can make this shot. (Decided to switch to gun today, instead of bow. I know this is a bowhunting site, so you may move this to offtopic.) Well, I think the gun was capable but not me. I missed, and thought I might as well call it a day. But, I pick my head up and keep hunting. I tried moving setups 3 different times with no luck until my last setup. I set up a lonely hen decoy and after calling a few times a gobbler steps out 100 yards away. I give a few soft calls and when he sees the decoy he heads straight for it. I can not believe it, I was literally going to call it a day in ten minutes. The gobbler is closing the distance and he gets to 12 yards, stops and picks his head up. All I can say is the gobbler piled up right in his tracks. According to the landowners scale he weighed 29.5 pounds, had a 10.5 beard and 1 1/8 inch spurs. I have pics but can't figure out how to post them. Hopefully, I can sweet talk Mr. Bowman into posting them for me.

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

no need to move it.....and no need to sweet talk me....just send me the pics i will post them

you gots a PM....:biggrin1:

3. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

That is a very nice bird and way ta go. Made the wait worth it.
    Now for some good eating.
    How are ya gonna tel tha folks at work about it.

I was so sick I had ta go outside ta throw up and this monster turkey attacked me and I had ta defend myself. SURE..................

4. Holy Smokes

Bowman, What is tha Max yards you fellars shoot? I asked the other day and don't know if ya replied or not. What will tha D-100 be> Smokes

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

here are the long awaited pics.....man they were big ones....had to resize them a bit.....

6. STRO

If they ask I just tell them I had the fever, don't have to tell them that it was gobbling fever. Same goes for deer season, it's buck fever. And I love it. Actually, I used a personal day. We get 4 a year and get to use them with no quesions asked.

7. STRO

Thanks, Bowman, you are da man.

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I think that should probably go in everyones signature.....:biggrin1: :biggrin1:

9. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

all right!

Great bird Clove!
    Now make it hard & take that bow back out there:laugh:

10. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

That's awesome. Now next time, take the bow!:biggrin1:

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Turkeys are tuff and so much fun....I dont understand why they dont hold my intrest???

12. STRO

Next time out will be bow only, I promise.

13. Holy Smokes

Hey if ya wantta take a 12 ga 3 1/2 mag do it. Thats what I hunt em with. But tha sport is in tha bow.

14. Holy Smokes

Bowman if everyone had tha we would havta call ya King Bowman:hail: :hail:

15. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

And that is not going to happen.:doh:

Nice bird:rockon: C&O with whatever weapon. Thanks for the pics.:peace:

16. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

very nice bird!!! :rockon:

17. clemenlp

clemenlp Diamond in the Rough

Congrats, that's a bird anyone would be proud of.:thumb: :peace:

18. STRO

I save the tail fan and am really thinking about getting a pretty boy decoy or the b mobile. Anyone ever use one of these. I wonder what it would cost to have a turkey mounted in full strut to use as a decoy.

19. QDAWG44

QDAWG44 Junior Member

I have had the best turkey season ever!!! In new york the opener is May 1st. I tagged a 21 lb. 8 inch beard and 1inch spur gobbler at 11 am. Then on May 2nd I entered the woods at 8:30 and was walking out at 9:30 with a 19 lb. 9 inch beard and 1 inch spur bird. What a season!!!! Woodsmanship helped tag these birds with very little calling. For my second bird I had a jake at 5 feet sit down right in front of me!!!! The gobbler that was out in the field just couldnt take it and popped him at 12 yards. I found a beech nut in his stomach that was the size of a ping pong ball wow !!