Bear hunt

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by WiHunter, Jan 3, 2008.

1. WiHunter

WiHunter Junior Member

I'm looking for a place to bow hunt black bear that is within a 12 drive from the Milwaukee, WI area. WI, MI & MN all are options but they also have a preference point system and it looks like a 3 - 5 year wait.

It looks like Canada is an option, but I don't know if they have a point system.

Any ideas?

2. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

Have you thought about Maine? How far away is that, they don't have a point system.

3. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

I went to Oxbow this year, northeast part of Maine, 21 hours. I'm about 1 1/2 hours from Milwaukee. Now, if you could just drive through the lakes it would be a piece of cake.

4. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

We went hunting in ontario canada about12 years ago. It was a guided hunt in the spring. There was no points system or any of that. There was a wait to get hooked up with the guide however. I get the name if you are interested.:welcome: It was a 12 hour drive from here, about 3 hours from here to Mil.

5. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

Mountain view drifter lodge in Maine. Great people and a great hunt. I shot my first and only bear there a few years back. Beautiful country. Rick is an awseome guide and host and it was well worth the money. Not near as expensive as most places I looked at.

6. Cablegaurd21

Cablegaurd21 Senior Member

Nice Bear Poorman!:rockon:

7. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

Thanks! It was a small bear but I was sitting chair on the ground. Man what a rush that was. It took me a full ten minutes to calm down enough to shoot:rockon:

8. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Yea!

Oxbow lodge in maine
    Ive heard alot about them.
    Ha dens how did u do up there ?

9. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

The week I went up there 25 hunters were at the lodge. It sounds like alot but there were 4 hunters per guide and you are spread out pretty good. Miles apart in some instances. The amount of land they hunt is unreal. Some guys hunted 20 minutes from the lodge, we were 90 minutes from the lodge.

The weather was very warm for that time of year so the bears were hitting the baits late, every bear killed while I was there was in the last 45 minutes of light, most in the last 10 minutes. Of the 25 hunters 8 killed a bear, me and my buddies were 3 for 3.

The guides worked hard for the hunters. The owner and his wife, Tom and Tracy, bend over backwards to ensure you have a good time. The food was excellent and everyone had a blast. The lodge was clean, warm and very large. The only time it seemed like 25 hunters were there was during dinner on the first night.

I killed my bear in the last minutes of the last day after sitting in the rain all afternoon. There may have been a few more successful hunters but some left because they didn't want to sit in the rain! One of the old timer guides told my I was a smart man to stay because if it stopped raining before dark I'd kill a bear. He was right.

Me and one of the guys I went with a putting in for a moose permit, if we get it we are going to Oxbow. Next bear hunt, Oxbow.

10. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

awesome!

Thankyou dens i had researched all the outfitters in the us lookin at bear hunts and Oxbow was the 1 i had picked but havent had the pleasure of going yet, but i will thankyou,ken:wave:

11. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

If/when you go, I'd try and get Tom to hook you up with either Tom himself or C.T. as your guide.

12. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Ok

Not this year but maybe next i want to get a bear i never have.
    Im going back to ohio this year again for another try at a big buck.
    cant afford but 1 hunt a year.
    Ill keep u in mind to ask when im ready to go.:biggrin1:

13. buccaneerbowhunter

buccaneerbowhunter Junior Member

Maine bear hunting

Thanks for the tip! I now live in Rockland, ME on the coast and will be looking into bear hunting either this season or next. Never been, but my neighbor went this year for the first time and said it was amazing. He was at a friend's camp, though.

14. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

We drove straight up the coast, through Portland. It was the most beautiful country I've ever seen. I bet I saw at least 30 moose the week we were there.