beginer question

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by cliffslocal, Oct 25, 2007.

1. cliffslocal

cliffslocal Junior Member

I know this is a beginner question but I see this forum gets much more activity than the beginner forum.

I have a very old bow (prob 10 years) its a Browning Legacy LE4A
    Let off is 50
    String Length 35
    Adj Range
    45-70

I got this at a Big 5 a long time ago.

I want to get into archery and perhaps eventually hunt pig and turkey in the local San Diego mountains. Is in like new shape, I bought it new and have shot maybe 50 arrows with it.

My questions are as follows:

• Is this an aceptable/safe bow to learn/hunt on
      it has no accessories i.e weights/sights etc do you have any suggestions

FYI: I have a lot of experience with skeet and 5 stand.

I appreciate any advice.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  2. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I think you would enjoy yourself more with a more modern bow. Having said that, if what you have is what you want to start with, then by all means use it. My best advice would be to take it to a shop and let them give it a once over to check the axles, cams, limbs and strings. If all of that is good to go, then have at it.

You should be able to find a sight, and decent rest of a decent price and I would suggest both. With 50% let-off, I myself would want some type of release aid to keep the fingers off the string. Read around and use the search feature. There are a lot of opinions on equipment and you can learn a lot that way.

Good luck and if you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me....:peace:

3. cliffslocal

cliffslocal Junior Member

Thanks, sent you a PM.

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

It will be fine...
    Like JCM said though take it somewhere and have them run through it to be sure it's safe...
    After that it's just practice...:biggrin1:

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yup what they said......