Bino Advice

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by bullfiddle, Feb 25, 2008.

1. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Ok so last summer was my first trip back to shooting 3D events. Back in my day you would have got thrown out of the county if ya brought a pair of bino's on the range. Man how things have changed...:doh: So the IBO rules said that you can use up to a 8.5 power. Forgive me for being ignorant but how do you tell what the magnification is is that the first number like 8.5X50...:noidea: Also who makes a good pair for 3D shooting and don't even mention those $500 things because I can't afford that...:doh:

2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

yep, it's the first number. the other number is the objective lens size in millimeters. What's the budget?

3. tedicast

tedicast Member

Yes, an 8.5x50, would be 8.5x magnification. Take a look at the Vortex line of binos. The 8x42's Diamondbacks are a great pair of bino's for the price. Jayhawk has them for $200. Trust me when I say it will be hard, if not impossible to find a better pair of bino's in this price rance. These are the bino's I'm currently using for 3D, and hunting. Not to mention Vortexs warranty. Unlimited, Unconditional, and transferable.

4. bullfiddle

As cheap as I can go but I ccould probably squeeze $200...:noidea:

5. bullfiddle

Hey Tedicast who is Jayhawk....:noidea:

6. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Sorry Bull

I use cheap ones Bushnell's $60:noidea:
    Even on my rifles i use cheap scopes:noidea:
    Its like HDTV to me a TV is a TV if i can see what im watchin, thats all i need:noidea:

7. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I've heard good things about Vortex but never tried a pair. Ones that I can personally recommend are Nikon and Pentax.

8. bullfiddle

Any particular models JC?...:noidea:

9. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I haven't bought any in a few years.......:noidea: I like to test them side by side. I ask if I can walk outside with them if it's a small shop to look at long distances, and I also like to test them inside by looking into the darkest corner of the store and see which shows the most detail. that helps when looking for the 12 ring standing in the sunlight and looking into shadows. You got any shops near you where you can compare them?

10. bullfiddle

I could probably go to Gander or Cabelas other than that I wouldn't know where else to try around here... It's about an 1 to 1 1/2 trip to either place..:noidea:

11. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

You definitely need a good Binocular...I'm in the market myself.

Maybe a sponsor will come through for ya...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

12. J.C.

J.C. New Member

do a poll here or on AT. best binoculars for $200. Pentax, Nikon, Burris, Leupold, Vortex, maybe some others if you can think of them.....:noidea:

13. bullfiddle

JC I have no idea what all the company's are the only binoculars I have ever owned were el cheapos from Walmart...:noidea:

14. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I gave you companies.....:doh:

15. bullfiddle

But I forgot them already...:noidea:

16. tedicast

tedicast Member

Here is a link....

http://www.jayhawkoptics.com/vortexbino.htm

I have ordered from Jayhawk before I was a vortex field staffer. Very good place to deal with.

17. J.C.

J.C. New Member

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

18. I use Nikon ATB's, great bino's. Plus you can use them for hunting or anything else. They should be in your price range.

19. bullfiddle

Anybody ever use the Vortex Crossfires $129...:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

20. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

Dn't forget to check the bargan cave at cabela's. You might find a good deal.