Bow Choice Problem

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by wildfan99, Aug 27, 2008.

1. wildfan99

wildfan99 Sophia's dad

Yesterday I posted a question on 2 different bows I was looking at. Today brings about an entirely different question. After spending time at a couple of different archery shops in my area & shooting more bows I have tons to think about. Main question is this... Is it better to spend the $ up front & buy a top line bow? Assuming the $ isn't an issue, what about performance, technology, etc. I went from looking at setups from 600-700, now I am looking at setups from 900-1200. Is it worth it to spend the big $ for a semi-begginer? THANX!!!

2. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

What in the world are you looking at for $900-$1200? :noidea:

3. wildfan99

wildfan99 Sophia's dad

PSE X-FORCE Dream Season, & a Bowtech 101st airborne. Both are around 750.00 the rest would be accessories I guess.

4. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

dang dude, you can get a nice semi-beginner set up for much cheaper than that.

5. wildfan99

wildfan99 Sophia's dad

But my problem is will it be better to just bite the bullet at the start, or have to upgrade in 2-3 yrs.

6. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

More money doesn't mean it will work best for you. If money is not an issue, get what ever one fits you the best, right now. You can always trade it in later. Most archery shops have salesmen. They will be happy to help you spend as much of your money as they can. Status and name mean very little. Results mean everything. Comfort and enjoyment are my top concerns. Shopping for a new bow is fun. If I could afford it, I would buy a new one every year, at least.:thumb: Maybe you should buy two or three? Have fun, I do!

7. pilot

pilot Senior Member

Looking back on it, I realize that I personally didn't even know what i was looking for in a bow until i had done quite a bit of shooting and therefore i feel like my own decision to buy a more economical bow and equipment and upgrade over time was the right one for me.

The upside to buying a high end bow up front is resale value if you decide you want something different later.

My wife got the best of everything they had in the shop the first go 'round because that is what mama wanted....:D

8. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

I say get a cheaper bow, and better accessories. The problem with starting off with top of line equipment is...let's say you buy the PSE...every time you shoot it just OK, everyone who shoots a rival bow brand will say, "you should have bought brand X!", or "you could have bought brand X with as much money as you spent on that!". I think better accessories makes tuning and shooting a lot easier.

Ben

9. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Got ya.

Like it was said earlier, if money is no object, shoot as many bows as possible and buy the one that fits you and you perceive as the best bow for the money.

As far as accessories go, some are worth paying extra for, some are not. For instance, a sight. When you get right down to it, all it is is a dot to aim with. Any dot will do the same thing. It doesn't have to cost $100 to sit in one spot. Sure, more expensive ones will be easier to adjust and the pins will be brighter, etc., but a cheap one will still work just the same.

Rests are a different story. There are rests that actually do what they do in different ways. Some work better than others. Some really cheap ones work fine.....if you like the way they operate.

If I had to go cheap on either the bow or accessories, I'd buy the best bow I could and outfit it with whatever money I had left. Then you can upgrade accessories one at a time.

10. wildfan99

wildfan99 Sophia's dad

One of the problems I am having is draw length vs whats out there. I know it sounds funny, but it seems like my choices are somewhat limited. I do have that sasquatch thing goin' on. I am 6'-5" tall (pertinant info, I know, sorry) I was measured & was told I need a 32" draw. If yall' know of a cheaper route I'm very interested. Thanx again..

11. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Ahhhh....the ole knuckle dragger syndrome....:wave: At least you aren't left handed too.... :laugh:

That does put a big smack on your list of choices. Elite is starting to ship a new bow called the XLR. It will go to 32" so you might check it out too. There isn't a ton of info out on it yet. If you want to know more, let me know.

Other than that, you might post a "want to buy" thread on AT and see what pops up.:noidea:

12. wildfan99

wildfan99 Sophia's dad

I would love some info. I've been told by my wife I make a great guinea pig.IE her cooking lol. New things don't scare me a bit. An e-mail or link would be super! Thanx again.

13. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

38" axle to axle
    8.5" brace height
    Revolution 2-track binary
    Barnsdale limbs
    IBO around 320fps.

I'll see what other info I can priy out of them....

14. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Did a shop really measure you for a 32" draw or was that an estimate based on your height ?

Be sure to have somebody actually measure you for draw length and have you actually draw a bow with that length, with a release in hand/wrist, before believing you need a 32" draw.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Ron

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  15. wildfan99

wildfan99 Sophia's dad

I did indeed have my draw length measured, & I did shoot 2 bows w/ releases & all. They both fit & were very comfortable.

16. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Martin makes a bow Mystic Elite
    they have consistently made quality bows
    here are some specs I suggest if you can get a good bow set up for less then take the extra and get some pro lessons if your just starting out
    this will help you so later you do not have to unlearn bad technique http://www.martinarchery.com/techinfo.phpMystic Elite "Large"
    JCM how much is the Mystic E:noidea:

17. wildfan99

wildfan99 Sophia's dad

Thanx, I looked @ your link & it said the Mystic Elite was a target bow, does that matter?

18. red44

red44 Senior Member

If you scroll down, you'll see it's available in camo (realtree APG). The Elite is a reference to the lenth of the limbs. They have (I think) Super Magnum, Magnum, straight (or used to), and Elite, they're the longest.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  19. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Red is correct, as the "Elite" refers to the elite limbs. These limbs have a recurve look and are longer. They are generally though of as "target" limbs because the are longer giving the bow a longer axle to axle length.

The Mystic can be configured with Magnum limbs which are straight 14" limbs. It can also be configured with the M-pro or mini M-pro cam which makes it a single cam instead of a dual cam.

MAP on this bow would be $529 as a camo bow with the mini m-pro.

20. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

Get a chunk of re-rod about 4" tall and some 100lb fishing line and you'll have the badest recurve on the planet!!!:laugh: