Bow of choice...Mathews, Hoyt, or Bowtech

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Sportsman, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Sportsman

Sportsman Member

Alright guys & girls please help me out here. Which bow would you buy and why, if you could choose any Mathews, Hoyt, or Bowtech. Primarily 3-D & hunting but should shoot well on a field course. Right now I shoot a Hoyt Supertech and am VERY pleased but have the opportunity to upgrade. Thanks in advance for all of your knowledge, experience, ....and opinions :D

2. 3dshooter1

3dshooter1 Junior Member

I my opinion these are the top three. I personally like the Matthews because they are a great balance of speed and smoooth, I shoot by switchback for spots, 3d and I hunt with it. Great alaround bow.

3. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Knowing that your a speed freak:D look at the bowtech allegiance, smokin fast. But since you like hoyt, check out the new Trykon. We have some Trykons at the shop now.

4. Hilgy51

Hilgy51 Junior Member

I shoot a Reflex which I love. I had the chance to shoot a Switchback and I love that thing. The new Hoyt Trykan looks awesome too.

5. ARROW1

ARROW1 Junior Member

New bows

HI, I know there is alot of talk about the big 3. But if you are willing you should check out Pearson Archery. I'm on there staff. I've owned all the bows that you are talking about. And they are all great bows. I shot the EDGE and Bishop for the last year. The grips on these bows are amazing my 3D scores went up 20 to 30 points. These bows are very quite and shock free as any out there. I've got the 2006 Stealth coming soon if it shoots any thing like my EDGE alot of the "big 3" are going to be in trouble this coming year. Just some of my thoughts. Hope it might help you.

6. joekidd

joekidd Member

Hoyt Vtec for me. I shot alot of different brands and models, and that was the one that I enjoyed the most.

All great bows though!

7. BigL

BigL Junior Member

I think the UltraTec is a great bow for both hunting and target shooting. I haven't tried the Trykon yet, but will be soon. I'm looking at the Trykon XL in a 30.5 DL.

8. DTP_HoytTec

DTP_HoytTec Member

If you're looking to upgrade Matthews takes the cake way over Hoyt and Bowtec. Although I love hoyt the only thing holding me back from purchasing a Matthews is price and draw length versitility.

Bowtecs have had problems with limbs in the past, and although they offer a faster bow they don't provide the other half of the spectrum which is forgiveness. Hoyt offers quality speed and great forgiveness in all their bows.

Good Luck

DTP_HoytTec

9. jheater

jheater Junior Member

Here is some info about speed.. Do not go by post IBO specs, Company lie.

Trykon XL faster than Switchback
    Interesting results from a speed comparison I just did at the shop last night.

I’ve got a Switchback (the original – which is advertised as the fastest of the bunch) that I’ve hunted with (quite successfully I might add) this season. It is a 70 pound bow with a 27 ½” draw length. On the scale the peak draw weight is actually about 71-72#. The bow is 33” ATA with a 7” BH. Advertised IBO speed on this bow is 318.

I also just got a Hoyt Trykon XL which is a 70# bow (pulls exactly 70# on the scale) with a 27” draw length (I’m shooting off the riser). The bow is 36” ATA with a 7 ½” BH. Advertised IBO speed is 314.

I shot the two bows – same night, same chrono. I used the same sight (Hogg-it) and same stabilizer (Doinker 7” multi-rod) on both bows. I used the same release (Carter Insatiable 3) and the same 424 grain arrows (CE CX Hunter 300 with 125 gr. point, beiter nocks, wraps and blazer vanes). Both had the same Fletcher Super Hunter peep and a string loop made of the same material. The only notable differences are that the Trykon XL has string shox on the string whereas the SB has nothing on the string and I had a STS on the SB (which actually gave me an extra 1-2 fps when I first installed it).

You would think that with an advertised IBO speed 4 fps higher, a ½” shorter BH, an extra ½” of draw length and nothing on the string other than the peep and loop that the Switchback would clearly be faster than the Trykon XL. I would have guessed a minimum of 5 fps faster and probably a bit more.

However, all chrono readings for the SB read 258 fps and all readings for the Trykon XL read either 263 or 264 fps. That’s 5 to 6 fps faster for the Trykon XL and if you removed the STS from the SB it would probably be more like 6-8 fps – and that’s with ½” LESS draw length and a pound or 2 less draw weight!!! I must say I was a bit surprised. I mean I know everyone says that Mathews overstates their IBO speed and Hoyt, if anything, understates them but I guess I didn’t expect the results to be this different. I mean this was probably a 10-15 fps swing in favor of the Hoyt vs. what I expected.

Anyway, rather than just conjecture and opinions based on no facts I thought I’d post the results of this since it was an actual and objective apples to apples test of the two bows.

THIS WAS NOT DONE BY ME, I AM COPY AND PASTING FROM ANOTHER FORUM.

10. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

Mathews, Bowtech, or Hoyt? Sheeeeesh, can't anybody ever think for themselves? Go shoot a lot of bows from all the bow makers. There are literally hundreds of bows on the market. Many of them are as good in quality as the "BIG THREE" and at price maybe a couple hundred dollars less.

Take it upon yourself to shoot and then decide. Think for yourself. Then you'll either be able to pat yourself on the back or kick your own behind, whichever is applicable.

11. DTP_HoytTec

DTP_HoytTec Member

Yes but at the same time it's better to hear another shooters opinion. Hopefully they're smart enough to decide for themselves, but how many shops actually carry those hundreds upon hundreds of less expensive bows? The nice thing with "The Big Three" is that they stand behind their product. Hoyt(for example)carries a lifetime warranty on all their bows. It's nice knowing that if anything ever goes wrong, hopefully it won't, that the company will stand behind their product and assist the customer.

It's all about Customer Service these days.

So if you can find a shop that carries a hundred different types of bows, go for it, shoot them all.

"It can never hurt to have a second opinion."

:) DTP_HoytTec

12. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

DTP, I'll concede that these bow companies back up their products and have Lifetime warranties. But I also know that almost all bow made today have a lifetime warranty, and almost all have excellent service. And it's so because of the competitive nature of the archery industry.
    I know this stuff because I now work in retail archery. Been a staff shooter for 13 years and repped for Pearson in 2003. When you have a few old contacts you get a lot of little informative things that the public hardly ever hears about.

OK, a little off subject. About bows. There are those made by Diamond (Bowtech), Martin, Darton, Pearson, Reflex (Hoyt), and lots of others. Frankly I like NOT shooting what the majority of other do. I like to show my individuality.

13. DTP_HoytTec

DTP_HoytTec Member

It's hard to find those bows when I've worked in the same archery shop for four years now. And the only line up of bows we sell are PSE, Hoyt, Reflex, Alpine and Matthews.

I've seen some Bowtec around but I'm not a big fan. Heard they have had limb problems in the past, and I'm not looking for a bow specifically set on speed.

I love shooting my 04' Hoyt Ultramag.. it's going to be tough getting rid of it this upcoming fall.

14. 3dshooter1

3dshooter1 Junior Member

If you are looking at Matthews I would suggest a conquest III or Conquest Apex and I would shoot it wothout the grip

I am shooting Hoyt this year and hands down the Ultra Tec I like the grip better then Matthews but this is personl preferance

Bowtech I would go with the Alegience or Old Goly

15. Midskier

Midskier Junior Member

as the others have stated , try several out b4 you buy anything
    research your style vs the bows capabilities vs your budget
    I'm on my second Hoyt Ultratec and only shoot indoor target
    it is smooth and quiet, others may be smoother or quieter
    but maybe not both
    plus I do not want any camo
    and the Hoyt target bows look the sharpest

my fist one was the american flag
    an my current is blue fade to black

good luck and shoot bunch first

16. sva_39

sva_39 Junior Member

think for yourself

you know it doesn't matter how much you pay for the bow, what name it is, or how fast it shoots, if your not comfortable with it in your hand you'll never shoot as good as your capable of. I've shot a lot of bows, oneida's, fire brand, hoyt, pse, pearson, css, darton, xi, bear etc. I don't mind how the trykon comes right into the draw curve or that is drops of really fast, but personally I think the bowtechs have a bit of hand shock I don't get from the trykon, and I like how it feels. Bottom line pick a bow that fits you, feels good, and that you like. if your comfortable with the bow, regaurdless of what others say you'll shoot better, practise better, and to top it off have a lot more fun.:D

17. bubba

bubba New Member

i shoot bowtech if ur a speed freak i would geta mathews exler8

18. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

Friends don't let friends shoot a Trykon...

19. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Things must be slow ---- thread was from 2005??? :noidea:

20. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

dat what me was tinking......