bow string

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by cowboy50, Apr 30, 2008.

1. cowboy50

cowboy50 New Member

how do you know that you should get a new string for your bow, i've had the same one since last christmas

2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

They should last at least a year even with heavy shooting. If it's looking a little rough give it a waxing.

3. cowboy50

cowboy50 New Member

ok and when should you wax it and how much

4. TEN RING

TEN RING ONE SHOT ONE KILL

A lot of bow company say 2000 shots or 1 year. I change mine 2 twice a year

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

2000 shots is just breaking it in......

I had a Switchback, that we added up roughly how many shots i shot in the 2year time period that i had the ORIGINAL BARRACUDA STRING AND CABLE on there......

24,000 no joke.....and the sting and cable DID NOT STRETCH AT ALL.....

Now remember at one point with that bow i was shooting no less than 450-500 shots a week......

so your telling me I should change strings once a month???:noidea:

oh and here is a fun fact......I bet I only waxed that string 3-5 times in that whole time period......

I have over 2000 shots on my Prestige with Ranger Bowstrings, and I am not even thinking of changing them.......

6. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I like to grt my bow and wax in a nice warm palce and give it a good coat and work it in tha string real good
    if you can't feel much wax on tha string it needs it.
    Rain will cause it to dry out quicker also. keep it greased up and you'll be good ta go for a long time.

7. TEN RING

TEN RING ONE SHOT ONE KILL

Sorry about that bowtech sayes 2500 shoot not 2000 to maintain optimum performance you know and I know that we all double if not tripble that :bored:

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I AGREE
    WHO can afford the prices they want for strings these days, if you have to replace after 2500 shots:noidea:

9. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

I usually replace the string once a year. Don't know if that's too much, or not enough, but I would rather not have any problems and I seem to shoot just fine doing it.

I wax when those little hair like fibers start rearing their ugly heads or if the string feels dry. I coat the string with a good wax and then use a hair dryer to melt the wax into the string which seems to make it last a little longer as well as spread the wax more evenly.

10. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

if ya got a press or have access to one take them puppys off and give em' a good waxing.

11. NJBuckBuster

NJBuckBuster Waiting on Sept...

It depends on how much I shoot and what the string/cbles look like.. I will say at least once a year if you shoot everyday or a few hundred arrows a week...

I also wax my strings every other shoot.. I use the Scorpion venom wax.. It is the best wax on the Planet.. Also before I re wax I usually use the wax remover and get a piece of serving or Dental floss and kinda squeegee the old was out... It works very well and gets that old was out....

NJBB

12. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

i wax them after i shoot every time.

13. canam kim

canam kim New Member

I shoot Crackers Strings and mine last longer than the bows do, lol. I usually get a new bow each year, but his strings are top of the line and I shoot them until I get ready for a new color, lol. In reply to the question about when to get a new string, whenever one starts to look frayed or if it starts stretching and making your peep turn, etc. it's time to consider a new one. I always use 452x, so it is very stable.

14. cowboy50

cowboy50 New Member

so what are some signs that you can see, that you know that it is time to change the string

15. sqwert

sqwert New Member

Measuring the axel to axel length and brace height, is one thing to check. You can put the bow back to spec by twisting the string and cables to a point, but eventually it all stretches to much. I would think that strings would last longer on a lower poundage bow too, but I am just guessing there. :noidea: