Bowhunting Setup

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Dredly, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

So I shot my legacy yesterday and decided I don't like the grip so I'm going to hunt with my Ovation instead. I think it should work fine, I just really can't get used to the stupid grip :doh: I'll probably just put it back up for sale.

The only problem is the arrows I have use glued in points. so I'm going to shoot my X7 Ultre-Lites 2612's. It should work pretty well as placement is the important thing and I'm a pretty good shot plus with the diamater of these arrows it will be like a broadhead going through anyway.

It should be a cool challange since my bow isn't camo but Deer can't see blue any way I should be good to go. I think I'll set my 4x scope at about 30 yards so I can shoot out to 40 yards to kill deer.

the only hard part is fitting my arrows in the quiver but I should only need to take one so I'll probably just not put a quiver on the bow.

I can't wait for season! :rockon:

2. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Heck man that stinks...
    What about a Shrewd grip or just holding the riser with the grip removed ?
    My Ovation grip is already 'un-glued' so I'm going to try and shoot it with the grip off it for grins...

Ron

3. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

I had the same problem....I have shot Dartons for years and loved their grips.When i bought a new bow back in the spring it took a while to get used to it...even though i liked it when i tried it out.I guess it's true..grip/feel is a very important factor when buying a new bow.

4. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Put a SVL wrap on the grip and shoot with gloves......:caked:

5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

a shrewd grip for a 4 year old bow? those aren't exactly laying around eveyrwhere... either way I like my Ovation. I hope I have enough KE to get a full pass through

6. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

I do hope you plan is to fit those 2612's with broadheads, right?

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I can't the tips are glued in but they are really sharp for target points and they are pretty big to. I figure they will act like steal jackated pullets and just do all the damage on the way through. they are wide enough!

8. jetshowell

jetshowell Member

broadheads

why dont you take yours arrows to your pro shop and have then replace the tips with screw in broadheads are a must

9. MOBuzzCut

MOBuzzCut Member

Broadheads

Please if you dont change them arrows to screw in broadheads please dont hunt this year. You need to use broadheads.

10. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

:laugh: :laugh:
    stirin the pot:crazy:

11. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I thought every state had a minimum cutting diameter for broadheads???:caked: Unless your bow will shoot 3,000 fps you won't be harvesting any deer this year.:doh: :doh:

12. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Any Mathews grip from the last 4 years will fit on an Ovation (not sure on the Drenalin). The grips are all the same size where they attach to the riser. Any grip that fits a Mathews bow will work on your Ovation. I suggest a Tronjo grip.....:peace:

13. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

14. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I'm thinking it should be fine. Sort of like using a FMJ bullet. If its good enough for the US Military then its good enough for me! :usa:

15. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

You have a point there... Get it ? Point ? :bowl:
    :laugh:

Ron

16. clemenlp

clemenlp Diamond in the Rough

Heck Dred, a .223 doesn't mushroom out much more than those 2612's anyway and they're legal to hunt with right? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

17. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

why dont you just change the grip over from your ovation????:frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

18. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Because I'm shooting winter leagues!

19. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

when does your hunting season end???

when does indoor start???

20. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

it ends in January

Winter leagues start next month.