Brace Height...

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by swintj1, Oct 24, 2007.

1. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Hey All,

I am considering going to the Katera, but before I do, I noticed that the brace height is only 6" compared to the Vectrix's 7. What will this effect?

I heard the shorter the brace height the more torque the bow will receive when shot. Why do they provide a shorter brace height then? You have to have a short brace height to produce speed? Will going from the Vectrix to the Katera make me noticeably less accurate? Or can I just get the No-Torque grip from Hoyt and then call it good? Any information would be appreciated.

-Joe

2. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

The longer the arrow is on the string, the longer you have to influence the shot. If your form and execution is flawless, then the shorter brace height will not matter. If it isn't, the brace will magnify your flaws. Maybe to a small extent, but that is the theory.....

3. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

the shorter the brace height the longer the "power stroke" which is basically the string is still pushing the arrow forward. thus more speed

The sooner you get the arrow off the string the less chance the archer has of affecting its flight.

this the longer the brace height the easier (more forgiving of mistakes) and the shorter the brace the faster

4. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

There you have it!

5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

oh and of course the shorter the brace the further up your arm the string goes as well... so if you turn your arm the wrong way... ouch.

6. jetshowell

jetshowell Member

with the new string shock supressors on the bow the string will not travel past the 6 in point but if you had a bow with a 7 in brace height and nothing to stop the string the string will continue to move forward past the point were the 7 in brace height was measured and would actually be just as forgiving as the katera

7. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Unless you had an sts or string suppressor on the 7" brace bow.......

8. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

good point. STS type devices rule!

9. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

So, in thoery now that most bows have an sts, or you can add one, does a shorter brace height make that much of a difference. If you take a bow with a 7 inch brace height without an sts is there much of a difference compared with a 6 inch brace height and an sts on it?

10. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I wouldn't think so, I added an sts to my trykon to help get rid of the infamous trykon string buzz. I have a set of wolfden strings and cables but they will be going on when I wear out the originals..... It's as quiet as a mouse fart right now so I don't want to change a thing!

11. PatriotDually

PatriotDually Junior Member

Also another way to look at it is....

If you shot a 29 inch draw with a 6 inch brace height, it would be the same powerstroke and forgiveness as say your buddy shooting his 30 inch draw with a 7 inch brace height.

12. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

brace height is over rated with the designs of now a days bows. back in the day.. sure they were very unshootable to the average person. now!! look at the x-force for example.