Broadhead Tuning

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Hook Em, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

So what is the secret? Why do I suck at it so bad....my bow paper tunes just fine, but I screw a broadhead on and hit 3 inches left of center. I was doing this with my Magnus Snuffers so I screwed the slick tricks on and tested them as well...same result.

WHY WHY WHY!!!!! What should I be looking for?

2. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

Skip the paper, and tune the rest until you have same impact with points and BH's.
    Works for me.

3. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I think you need to tell Pink to go back in the house, it sounds like you have a case of wandering mind and whenever she is near you miss the target. I have the same problem so I go tune mine at a friends house or at my parents. :laugh:

Sounds like your rest is off a bit. move it :)

4. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

I agree.. paper tuning is way over rated... Sight in with your broad heads. I dont shoot field points the last 2 weeks before season. Strictly broad heads.

5. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

www.eastonarchery.com Download the Tuning Guide and go to the broadhead tuning section. Do not waste your time with paper tuning. Paper tuning shows you how your bow is leaving the bow. It tells you nothing about what the arrow is doing down range.

You could have too little FOC or too much rear drag (fletching) and paper won't show it, but you'll see it at longer distances big time.

6. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Senior Member

i had the same issue with my broad heads and i adjusted my rest then started over withmy sights and got it close still not where i want to be but it worked in the woods

7. Hook Em

just because I am lazy and I don't want to look it up...if it is hitting left, I move my rest to the right a smidge? Or left a smidge?

8. Hook Em

come on...I know you smart fellars know the answer!!!!

9. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

I feel the same as others...I don't put much faith in all that walk back/paper tunning stuff.I set my rest so that the bottom of my shaft is in the middle of the berger hole at full draw and than 1/8" nock high and than i set my center shot..( w/my cs tool ) and than i made the rest of any adjustments at the sight/pins.When i put my bh's on a couple wks ago i was an 1" to the left of my fp's @ 20 & 30 yds ....i had to use a metal scriber to mark my launcher arm to make that "fine" of adjustmemt.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  10. vonottoexperience

vonottoexperience Senior Member

First make sure your arrows have the proper spine. Move your rest toward the riser 1/16th of an inch. Shoot some, see if it's better...keep moving the rest toward the riser till the BH and FP's are close..then resight in and all should be well :D

11. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

If the tail of the arrow is left, then you move the rest to the right. This is for a right handed shooter. Left tear also could be a weak spined shaft.

12. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

If you give a guy a fish he'll never learn to get it for himself! :lol:

13. Hook Em

it shoots bullet holes through paper...my FT's and BH's don't line up. I will move my rest a little this evening and see what happens.

14. Southernfryedyankee

Southernfryedyankee Senior Member

i THOUGHT UNLESS YOUR SHOOTING MECHANICALS THAT YOUR BROADHEADS WILL ALWAYS SHOOT DIFFERENT THAN FIELD POINTS

15. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

Caps forgiven.

Both field tips and broadheads can and will shoot to tame poi if you tune the bow accordingly. That means "broadhead tuning" and leave the peper tuning behind.

You can punch all the bullet holes through paper you want. All it shows you is that the arrow is leaving the bow straight. It doesn't show you what is happening down range. Such things as too much fletching drag or too light a tip can paper tune well, but down range the arrows can drift around and won't group. Besides, I've never shot a paper deer at 4'. It's always somewhere farther away.

If you take the time to broadhead tune you can sometimes get better grouping with broadheads than field points. I do it on a regular basis.

16. Liv2Bowhunt

Liv2Bowhunt Senior Member

It does sound like your rest is off a bit, but with fix blades, try this. I shoot muzzy's amdn MX3's, i use a rubber washer and line the blades up with my vanes, BH flight is perfect, just like my fp's.

17. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

My Muzzy 100 gr's will slice the veins off my field point arrows out to 35 yards (probably further just never tried). :rockon:

18. OneMustFall

OneMustFall Member

ditto!

i do it this way to,works great......:peace:

19. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

They're right just move the rest...If it gets better keep going if not go the other way...:D

SFY...
    You can tune your BH's to fly just like your FP's with alittle tweeking...:cool: