Bullets?

Discussion in 'Offtopic' started by Wheely, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Do bullets go bad after a lot of years?

Does being stored outside, maybe to much humidity hurt them?

All my shells have been stored inside for the past 6 years and should be fine, but Brent has some that have been stored "who knows where",

I just want to make sure they are safe to fire.

2. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

define bullets?

are we talking about shotgun shells? Brass cased rifle ammo? Rimfire ammo? steel casing ammo?

MOST bullets if they look okay they will be okay. Shotgunshells tend to rust

3. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

It will not hurt t fire them
    if you have a light fire on one it might not git out of the barle
    it can be easily removed with a stiff cleanuing rod.

4. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

A cased bullet should be fine inside or stored in the truck for many years. Powder on the other hand should be stored in an area where the humidity is controlled.

5. J.C.

J.C. New Member

If they're stored in a damp place for a long period of time they may not fire. You would probably be able to see some corrosion on them though.

6. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Most ammo will be okay as long as it was relatively dry...
    water and lubricants can seep past the bullet into the case after prolonged contact...It may just not fire...

But hey, If in doubt...Throw it out.:biggrin1: better safe than getting a squib in the barrel...:tape:

7. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

DITTO.............:rockon:

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

just make sure you aiming out the window......:D

9. rpford53

rpford53 Member

I recieved a rifle from my dad, and with it came the rounds that were reloaded in 1964. They shoot fine and I have shot about 50 of them and have 40 more to go. What is more amazing is the rifle's point of impact has not changed.

10. Slice

Slice The Fobinator

I am still shooting shells I bought over 20 years ago and have not had any problems.

11. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Thx guys, now I just have to find a range to shoot at :D

12. J.C.

J.C. New Member

back yard?........:noidea:

13. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I would trust cased bullets for longer periods than shotgun shells. My dad has about a 100 old 5mm rimfire bullets for is Remington 592M from the 70's that still go boom. Hard to find the rimfire 5mm's anymore, I guess I will be donig the "5mm craig" conversion when we run outta ammo! Wonder how a 5 mm would do for coyotes? Back to the point, I agree with everyone else, they should be fine. Just make sure the cases are clean so they dont get stuck in the chamber!

14. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

for the smaller guns...I want to get out and shoot some skeet or something with my shotgun :D