Buying Better Scores?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Allen, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Allen

Allen Senior Member

We all heard that the best way to buy better scores is to hire a good coach and do what he says.

However, Is there any piece of equipment that you've found that has helped you increase your scores?

Maybe a new bow or release?

For me it was a BT release that fits my hand and still allows me to get a good solid anchor. I have short fat fingers and a release made for bigger fingers and a slightly extended head helped my form come together.

Anybody else have a similar experience?

2. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

Best thing I have found to help my scores is an eraser :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously though, as I mentioned in an earlier thread, I bought a new Ross Cr337 and shot my highest score with it at the first shoot I went to. Biggest thing in rasing scores I feel is confidence in your equipment. Sometimes all that takes is a new release, or arrows or even a new bow.

3. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Definately, when I got my Old Glory (i had a TRX36) my scores increased instantly, especially during longer shoots.

A thumb release signifigantly improved my ability to hold an ancor as well. I would say just about every gadget I've puchased has helped with my shooting, but nothing has helped as much as practice.

4. JBUTLER

JBUTLER Senior Member

A rangefinder!!

No matter what you put on your bow or in your hand, if you can't judge yardage your scores won't go up!!

5. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Two words........................................................................Whisker Biscuit!!!!!!!! No just kidding Bowman:laugh:

I would say the best thing I have purchased to better my score would be my first release Tru-Fire X-Caliper!!! Yes I know its not a wonderful release but when I used to shoot fingers my groups were all over the place. I was one of those guys who thought if I could put 6 arrows in a pie plate at 20 yards I was on top of the world. Now if (when I shoot groups) my arrows are not touching at 20 yards I think its the end of the world. So I would definately say a RELEASE.:peace:

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Mathews,
    Switchback,
    HHA,
    CopperJohns,
    Sure-loc,
    NAP,
    Carbon Express,
    Tru-Ball

And the best score Improver.......Learning to better judge yardage.

One would think though that, the more expensive the pencil, the better it should treat you.......:biggrin1: :laugh:

7. bengapple

bengapple Junior Member

For me it was BT

For me there were a number of things that improved my scores only two can be pruchased the other are the result of many hours of good sound practice and I still think I have a long way to go.

The two things are 1. a Carter 2,75 back tension release and 2. time with a coach to teach me the proper way to use the BT release.

8. NE1C_my_arrow

NE1C_my_arrow Member

First off.. I'm going to have to agree with the yardage judging. Now, the day before each shoot instead of going out and shooting 100 arrows at a target I take my range finder and start walking... Just judging random stuff on the side of the road. That has seemed to help me more than anything. I still shoot some, but only about 30 arrows or so.

I'd have to say that second, would be the X-Cutter arrows I bought this year. They were quite a bit lighter so my speed is up and they have probably gained me about 8 to 10 points per shoot on average with the larger diameter shaft... But if I do #1 up there correctly, I don't have to rely on the X-Cutters as much to bail me out. :biggrin1:

Also, as stated above.. Confidence in your equipment plays a huge role. You can't shoot well if you worrying about what you're shooting.