Cam Lean Question

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Ronhop, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

OK, I just put a new string/cable on my Ovation.

After I got that done I put an arrow on the idler wheel and the cam appears to be leaning in towards the riser when looking down from the top of the bow.
    It's leaning a couple of degrees at the most.

My question is this: Should the idler be parallel with the string or will the idler get straightened out when you draw the bow ? The reason I ask this is because if you look where the string is on the cam/string groove itself, the string does not look to be in the exact center of the limb, which would imply that a side force would be creared when you draw the bow...
    :noidea:

Thanks for any help on this.

Ron

2. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Here is what I was told. If you lay an arrow on the idler on the opposite side of the cable guard, it should be about 1/8" away from the nock point on that side of the string. When you draw the bow, the forces from the cable guard will pull the idler back to straight. Set it this way and the draw your bow and look at the bow string. It should look like it is coming off the idler straight....:peace:

3. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

That might be confusing. If your bow is a right handed bow, put the arrow on the left side of the idler (looking from behind). The arrow should be left of the string at the nock point.

4. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Thanks JC, I still may be a bit off but your suggestion makes sense and that's the train of thought I have on it. Of course it might also make sense for me to just call Mathews Tech Support and ask...

Ron

5. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

That is what I did.....:biggrin1:

6. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

7. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Hey JC that was great.
    Thanks a ton.

Ron

8. jcmorgan31