Can Anyone help me

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by bowhuntinfordeer, Nov 4, 2007.

1. bowhuntinfordeer

bowhuntinfordeer Junior Member

I just made up my own arrows for the first time this season. I put 2.25 quickspins on Gold TIp XT hunters 7595 shafts. My groups tightened up fiercely with field tips and with testing my broadheads I never bothered to test over 15 yards. Big mistake after injuring a huge doe last night and looking all day today I decided to check the broadhead shot at 30 yards oh boy! did I have a problem my field points are perfect with the tightest groups ever but when I went to shoot with my 4 blade 100 grain muzzies at 20 yards they drop down and to the right 6 inches. It gets worse! from there out they get further and further down. At 35 yards they are off my target and into the ground. I have been shooting muzzies for years and never had trouble with the bow that I have had for about 5 years now just restrung last year. I don't know what it is but I have to solve it ASAP rut is less than a few days away here. Any ideas.

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

2.25" quickspins are the problem, you need something bigger........

3. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Try blazers I have been using all year for 3D. They flew my broadheads well.

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

4"aae.....for me.......

5. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

or get rid of the muzzies Just kidding, I would try a bigger fletching, or try a good mechanical if you don't want to do that, or take some time and tune your bow into the broadheads. The later would be the best thing to do, then you know your bow is tuned in and will give you a little more confidence when in the field.

6. red44

red44 Senior Member

Did you square the shafts? How about tuning the nocks? Broadheads will show any flaws in the system.

7. hoyt_hunter007

hoyt_hunter007 Senior Member

The exact same thing happened to me last year. I was using the 2.25" QuikSpins with my slick trick broadheads and they wouldnt fly straight at all. I switched to 2" blazer vains and they flew perfect.

8. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

They don't make those...........do they????:laugh: J/K I had to do it.

I agree change your vanes. I use blazer and they stabalize my Muzzy's great. Good luck and keep us posted.:peace:

9. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

Two choices....put bigger vanes on your arrows and tune to your broadheads or get some mechanical broadheads for a quick fix.:wave:

10. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

Nice choices. Bigger vanes for sure. Also, without knowing the whole setup I'd say you need to tune for broadheads> Did you paper tune? It's a waste of time. If your arrows are grouping with broadheads then your bow is not tuned for them. Simple as that.

Here's the skinny on shooting field tips. A bow can be grossly out of tune. The arrows could be the wrong spine and lots of other things. The arrows will still group well with field points because there are no blades on the front to steer the arrow off course. You sight in for a certain distance and that's where those arrows will go.

Put blades on the front and all hell can break loose. You must tune for broadheads. Then resight the bow. Once this is done I'd bet your field points shoot even better than before.

11. Huya

Huya Senior Member

2 inch blazers vs. 2.25 quick spins. The reason the 2 in blazers will work better for you is that the fletching is a strong material and don't give as much as the softer quick spins. since the quick spins are so soft they have a tendency to let the BH's steer them, which can take them off course. And the farther you shoot the worse they will go astray.

12. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

Very true. the better tuned your bow is. The less adjusting you'll have to do when switching from field points to broad heads. I use the quick spin hunter st's 2.25" and had to do no adjusting from field points to broad heads. and groups about the same to 45 yds.

13. bowhuntinfordeer

bowhuntinfordeer Junior Member

Thanks guys good suggestions.

I switched to mechanicals and it stopped the problem but I was still curious why it came about so I went to my local bow shop and had the bow papered. Wow did that prove to be interesting. The Dloop had to be moved over a half an inch before it would paper worth a darn. This made a huge improvement on my groups after I adjusted the sight but I am still going to stay with the mechanicals for this year. The guy from the bow shop says he will no longer flech arrows with quickspins for that very reason. He said he has had to refletch dozens of arrows due to the same issue. So it does have something to do with the quidkspins. He also told me blazers would clear up that issue. I plan to do away with my overdraw and go to a drop away for next year and when I do I will end up retuning from the bottom up anyway. So for now I am done panicing and ready to kill. That is good because I have been out scouting and have seen 2 deer over 170 class within a half mile of two of my stands. Should turn out to be a good year. If you have never hunted in southwest Iowa and are interested drop me a line and maybe I could line you up with a hunt. I have done it for several people. It would be a good way to have one hell of a hunting trip for very little money.

14. Josh_Putman

Josh_Putman My little huntin buddy

In my opinion, quickspins need to be shot with a dropaway. I tried two different sizes of quickspins, and had bad luck with both. I was not shooting a dropaway, and I believe because they start spinning the arrow so quickly, that I was getting a kick off of my rest. I went back to blazers, and the problem went away. I will not shoot a dropaway, as I don't trust them. I have seen way too many people walk off a 3-d course because their dropaway failed in some way. Just my experience. :D

15. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

if you had gone to the new 3.125" quikspin it would have most likely fixed the problem, I still like quikspins and shoot them on all my target setups, I prefer a plain old 4 inch vane for broadheads........