Carbon fiber arrows and broadheads?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by djpoacher, Aug 12, 2008.

1. djpoacher

djpoacher New Member

I was talking to some one that works at a archery shop, and i had asked about using 125 broadheads for elk with carbon fiber easton 340 60/75 shafts. He had told me that 125 heads are to heavy for carbon fiber arrows. I was wondering if anyone knows if thats true.

2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

It's not true. the guy doesnt know what he's talking about.

3. Slice

Slice The Fobinator

I would be using a different shop if they told me that. I suppose they think you should be using 5 inch vanes too.:noidea:

4. Rhustek

Rhustek New Member

As the guys say its NOT true. As with any arrow if you setup your spine strength to use 80-100 grain tips then when you move to 125 grain tips you will be underspined. You may have to change the spine of your carbon arrows but if your current ones are not strong enough but that is no different than any other arrow. Make sure to correctly spine your arrows for 125 grain tips and it wont matter what they are made of.

5. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

I was wondering if he meant your arrows would be underspined? :noidea: If not then take Slice's advice; run! :dizzy:

6. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Rhustek is right on.

Yep, getting the correct spine for the bow, draw length, draw weight is the goal.

125 grain tip/broadhead is fine with carbon or aluminum arrows assuming the resulting spine is correct for the bow and the shooter.

If a shop tech makes a blanket statement that carbon arrows cannot handle a 125 grain point/broadhead that tech has no clue on what he/she is talking about.

And that being said, I would find another tech to help you out.

Ron

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  7. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

The heavier the head the head, the "softer" the arrow shaft becomes. In tuning respects.

8. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Exactly...

Ron

9. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

Whoever told you that..........................well he doesn't know what he's talking about ;)

Dan