Check my posture...

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by swintj1, Nov 24, 2007.

1. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Just wanting to receive a little feedback on my posture. Any comments or advice would be appreciated. Had an Archery Shootout on Thanksgiving Day! My site was off by about 2 inches low and 2 inches right...but was too lazy to fix it, so it was a little crazy, but still very fun! Let me know what you think!

[​IMG]

2. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

First of all....when you post a picture of your form, it really helps to post a picture from your feet up. :thumb: Here is my opinion.....

Green line is a vetical from your belt buckle. The orange is where your spine is. You are leaning back a couple inches. I don't think this is from a draw length problem as your draw length looks good to me.

Another helpful thing is to aim at something shoulder height so you aren't aiming down. Your bow arm shoulder looks good and down. Grip looks fine.

I would just try to stand up straight and get your weight distributed between both feet. Doesn't look too bad at all though....

3. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Thanks for the advice...I'll try to snap acouple of myself in my house pretending to shoot level...then post them up.

4. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Here are some pics I JUST TOOK. Sorry about the quality but it is the best I can do by myself.

My stance is slightly open (I do this because I'm a golfer and I do the same with golf)

I'm aiming straight, but it looks like it is aiming down for some reason...my shoulders show it is straight. IF you could critique these, I'd appreciate it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first two pics are two different shots, I just didn't know which one would be better.

5. SinGin

SinGin Banned

Your left arm looks to be a little over extended but I'd say your off to a good start.

6. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Draw is to long, you are leaning back to make up for it.

7. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

My draw length is perfect. I can still lean back.....:biggrin1:

8. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

It kinda looks to me like all his weight is on his left foot. If he was leaning back wouldn't the weight be on the right. Try bringing the feet a little closer together. and stand up straighter. I think the shirt that he is wearing gives the illusion he is leaning back more than he really is....Just my .$.02:peace:

9. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

The draw length of the bow is pretty close. You need to lower your anchor so as to touch the tip of your nose to the string.

You are over extended. You need to either shorten the release at least 1" or more if possible. If you can't then get a release that fits.

our bowhand has too much palm against the grip. Rotate the palm out by rotating at the shoulder and try to relax the arm musles. It appears that your bow arm is hyper extended. Relax the arm.

Work on the stance. You say this is how you stand when you golf. Wellson, this isn't golf. Stand up, get the feet spread to about shoulder width, and balance your weight evenly-----before drawing the bow. Once you start drawing the bow never move your feet, and never move your head. If you have to move your head then adjust the bow or your anchor to compensate for it.

10. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Here are some pics now after this advice. I can't really fix the bow arm part, because in order for me to fit in the 29"DL, it just has to be like that. But I measured a hundred times and it says I'm a 28.8...so it should be close.

With me leaning, I'm not sure I am. I know it looks like I am, and I will shot 3 pics here, but because my hips open for some reason, it changes the angle the camera is shooting at...the first 2 photos will show the camera dead on according to my bow, the last pic is perpendicular to my hips...you'll see in the third picture it looks like I am standing straight.

As for the grip...are you sure? I thought my grip was the best thing I had going for me...I don't know how I could have less hand on it...but I'll work on it. Anything else?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Werd

Werd Senior Member

man, you gotta close them legs:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:...try to just keep your legs shoulder width...

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

PLEASE for the love of GOD and my dinner, please, no mater what anyone says, leave your pants on.......:doh: :doh:

I agree, your NOT playing golf, so throw that excuse out the window.....

your feet are way to spread, and your leaning back in EVERY pic, the part tha bothers me, is the leaning is never the same......

the second pic, looks the best but is still off.....shorten that release if you can......

13. Werd

Werd Senior Member

look...i ll send a pic of my stance

14. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :peace:

15. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

this should be great........:frusty:

16. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

They were saying that my hoodie was making an illusion, so I just thought it would be easier to compare with it off. You really think it is a horrible stance bunny?

17. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

I've analyzed my posture all night, and here is why it looks like I'm leaning backwards, or AM leaning backwards if you want to call it that.

I load my left hip (similar to golf) meaning that I LOCK my left leg and hip into a certain position, propelling my left hip ahead of my body. My head is EXACTLY above my feet, but my hips are outside my feet...or off center. this moves my lower spine ahead of perpendicular, making it look like I'm leaning backwards, but in truth, it is just my lower body leaning forward.

HERE is the main question then. Is that a bad thing? If I do this EVERY time...and I have the same position every time I shoot, is that bad? should I work at getting my hip to remain nuetral, or is it okay that I lock the left hip, as long as it is repeatable?

Here is a picture of a golfer so you know what I'm talking about. You LOAD your hip...but your head is still straight up and down, but it makes your spine angle move backwards...is this okay for archery if it is consistent?
    [​IMG]

18. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

This is not golf. Like I said to long. your bow arm has no bend, your leaning back to fill the bow. Trust me 1 or even a half inch makes the world of night and day. But you do what you want. Soon people can just make it work.

19. Werd

Werd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

another thing is, if your going to hunt from a stand...i dont know of any stands that are platformed for how far you spread your legs:laugh:

20. Werd

Werd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My hair is a mess

I wasnt aiming down???? why did it do that

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007