Craziest/scariest Deer hunting story

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by bowcraze30, Aug 22, 2007.

1. bowcraze30

bowcraze30 Senior Member

2. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Well I posted up a short version of it in one of the other threads but...

I woke up late, the weather was crappy cold, like 20 degrees colder then the day before and it was overcast so I was expecting rain.

Went out to a tree I had scouted earlier in the week as a great spot to be. climbed up to about where I wanted and then realized my 2 expected shooting lanes were blocked... but if i went up 5 more feet I'd be good. So I tried going up higher and the tree was to narrow for my stand... no sense in wasting time in a tree I can;t use. so down I go (I use a summit climber)

I looked around for another tree in the same area, the deer are ALwAYS in this area. Found an okay looking one a few feet away so went up it, got about 20 feet up, and went for the final push to get to where I wanted to be and level out my platform... broke the top free, moved it up and just as I went to break the bottom free the top slide down. I wasn't really paying attention because oh pissed I was about the first tree and now I was getting a great lesson on why to pay attention!

Slid down about 6 or 7 feet until my safety harness caught and it stopped me very quickly (ouch). climbed back up to move the harness down and said SCREW THIS I'M GOING IN! so I started climbing down the tree again and I hear a stick snap. I look over and there is a nice sized doe walking around looking at me like and laughing.

So I plant the base, quietly put the top down onto the base, lift up my bow (dangling 10 feet below me and 1/2 on the ground and stuck in a bush of course). Get my bow up. nock an arrow and she took another step, came to full draw, she stepped one more time and I put an arrow right above the brisket. Could have sworn I hit her and no blood, nothin. all I hear is crashing and stuff breaking.

So I get down and go to look for my arrow as there is no blood ANYWHERE but I can't find my arrow either... so now I'm even more pissed. I go inside to cool off a little call my dad and talk to him for a bit to get calmed down and go back out to look for my arrow.

I start doing small circles thinking maybe it deflected and then I see her, I stuck her right about the breastbone, she ran with the arrow in her and it literally destroyed every organ in there... but she died by tripping over a long, smacking her heard against a stump and breaking her neck. pulverized, not broke. (that was the crashing I heard). the amount of tree branches and the damage she did to the stump were pretty impressive.

I then trace her steps (I WANT MY ARROW!) and find my arrow standing up, stuck point down in the dirt... no clue how it happened but it did.

First bow kill, first season, did everything wrong and got lucky anyway! :D

3. hoyt_hunter007

hoyt_hunter007 Senior Member

so you missed her? wow, that is really cool...talk about a freak accident :noidea:

4. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

hoyt_hunter, maybe re-read the last couple Paragraphs :biggrin1:

5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

yup you skipped a bit :frusty:

6. hoyt_hunter007

hoyt_hunter007 Senior Member

OK....nevermind :doh: :doh:

I thought you were saying you missed her and she tripped and broke her neck...now that would be hilarious :laugh:

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yeah now that would be a dredly story......:tape:

8. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

No if he had said she tripped over a BBQ and hit his truck...now your talkin :tape:

9. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

O.K. her we go...

I was hunting with a friend on a morning hunt. He was in a stand and I was in a homeade ground blind. We could see each other but were still about 200 yards apart. After a while I look over at him and he is waving at me. I pull up mu binos to seem him holding his hands to his head like anlters. Then he pretends to draw his bow. It took me a few minutes but I realize that he is trying to tell me he shot a buck. I walk over to his stand wich is on top of a small ridge. He tells me that he just shot this buck and knowcked him down right in front of us. The buck then slid down the ridge into a small briar patch. So, I say well lets go get him. we get down to the bottom of the hill and I per into the thicket and the buck is lying there dead (I thought). So I say hey tom lets get him outa here and ge thim gutted. So we start spreading the briars and wading in. As soon as we get in there and reach down to get the buck.. He lets out this god awful groan/grunt and comes up on hos front two feet and trys to get to us. Well by the time the deer fell back down I was already half way to the truck. It scared the living piss right out of me. After gathering our composure and wiping ourselves we walked back up to the deer and put another arrow in him (the lungs this time) and waited just a few minutes. We still lagh about this story but at the time it was scary as hell.

10. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Scarest!

When i was 17 saw this nice buck 8pt 14in wide (nice to me anyway)
    In a field edge with my dad, we would see him there every evening all summer!
    I desided to get him but no way in without him catchin me,so i got my dad to drop me off at around 5:30am, with my climber and pic me back up at 12 noon
    I got across the field and into a corner where the buck allways comes out.
    Sure enough at around 7:30am he walked right under me,at such a sharp angle i couldnt get a shoot in his chest,But i did clip a lung, I thought!
    5yards from the tree i was in, I GOT HIM!:noidea:
    he ran about 50yds and crashed in a creek in the woods behind the field!YES i got him!
    I waited 25min because i was sure i got him, I got down the tree went down the bank and there he was with just his head sticking out of the water.
    I set my bow down and pulled out my Buck knife grabbed him by his back leg to pull him out of the water and the whole creek Exploded He was alive,I jumped on him and stabbed him in the throat as he hit me in the face with his horns,The whole thing lasted about 15seconds but i wasnt going to let him get away. I gutted him after i ended up ripping my buck knife from his throat to his chest,I know nasty!:doh: But i had another problem!
    It was only around 8:45am and my dad wasnt comming until noon,And i was bleeding all over my face.
    I went back down to the creek and kept flushing my face with water.
    About 11am i heard a horn blow it was dad i went runnin to the truck.
    He couldnt believe what had happened to me but he started lookin at my clothes blood from one end to the other the piece that splits my nose was ripped, i had to get 7 stitches over my eyebrow there were 5 different gashes on my face. but i got my deer!:D
    After that i learned IF THERE EYES ARE CLOSED! THERE NOT DEAD!:biggrin1:

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

wow thats crazy......

12. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Senior Member

scariest was a friend and i were walking thru the woods to our stands in behind his house about 5:00am..... we were going deer hunting but ended up more of hogs hunting us..... we knew the woods like the back of our hands so we never took a light... we walked in to a group of piglets that we could not see but we sure heard them, and it was not long after their squeal we heard what sounded like the world coming to an end all around us.... (all we had was our bows) the sows were on us in seconds ... we were knocked over, bit, stepped on not to mention the trees we ran in to try to get away... we carried flash lights after that morning....:doh:

13. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

I had a crazy owl attack me one night while I crossed a open field after a evening hunt. He kept dive bombing me all the way across,about three hundred yards. Knocked my hat off, I am waving my arms and my bow at it trying to run and get under some trees. I ended up with a few gouges and cuts from that dang thing.:noidea:

14. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Ironically the second deer I shot (the one last year) was heading right for my truck until it died... It dropped about 10 yards from the back of my truck

unfournately I had to drag it a good 100 yards back into the woods to clean it and then bring it 150 yards to where we were going to process it. :frusty:

15. MO.HICK

MO.HICK Senior Member

About 13 years ago I was rifle hunting for deer. It was cold with a strong north wind. The stand I really wanted to hunt was south. Wind was bad. So when I got to the creek I put Tinks #69 on my paint leg and headed for my stand. I went about 50 yards and heard something to the south in the woods. Looked and here comes a nice buck with his nose in the air and coming fast. I had a stool in one hand and my rifle in the other. By the time I threw my stool down and pulled my rifle up he was at 8 yards. Hit him in the front shoulder. He turned to the right and I let him have it again. He went about 30 yards and fell dead. It was a 8 point buck 15 1/4 spread 10 inch G2's and 4 1/2 inch bases. Not a bad for almost getting run over by him. He was after the Tinks 69.

Mo.Hick

16. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Great Stories Guys!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Keep 'em coming!

(are these all true?)

17. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Senior Member

same areas as in first story.... we were 16 to 18or so when all this was taking place by the way.... (no bow, no rifle)we were out burying sour corn to bring the hogs in one evening .... friend and i were about 100 yards apart... i had 6 piglets come in wandering around while i was dumping the corn in the hole.... they came right up close then squealed and ran needless to say i turned around and was being (just like before but i could see this time) ran at by a very unhappy white sow.... i ran and noticed a tree that was leaning enough for me to run up... after a few minutes she wandered off and about that time my friend comes up and asked what is all the racket over here... and why are you in a tree.... guess what .... the sow returned and started chasing him... he also ran up the same tree i was in.... then as he was below me in the tree he said why didnt you just shoot her... i had forgotten in the frenzy that i had a colt 45 in the back of my pants.... :frusty: ... another memory etched in the old noggin of a fun day in the woods

18. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

We were hunting up in Maine (Rangely area) and had heard reports of "possible snow" for the "high country"

I'm sitting on the side of a ridge and just zoning out a bit, relaxing and waiting for some stupid deer to walk in front of me... there are no deer in Maine.

As I'm watching I see a tree disappear, then another and I thought I was seeing stuff. as I'm watching another tree disappears. Just completely vanishes... then more vanised. You know when you start dozing off on occasion and wake up in a half dream... thats what I thought it was.

then the blizzard hit. literally from clear and 40 to white out blizzard in a matter of seconds. dumped about 2 inches of snow in about 10 minutes and then it was clear skies again.

I've never seen anything like it before. When I say white out I mean I couldn't see my hand in front of my face white out.