Deer decoys love em or leave em.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by bullfiddle, Nov 6, 2007.

1. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

How many of you have used deer decoys before and were you successful?

I have used a McKenzie target without the antlers and have had good results. I bought a set of Renzo's but I haven't used them much. I primarily use decoys during early archery season and leave em at the house when the gunners are in the woods.

2. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I will be trying them this year, I have a renzo buck, renzo doe and I riverbottom buck 3d target. I thought about buying a glen-del full rut buck since I get a pretty decent discount working at the shop now. Kinda hate to decoy with a 300lb. 150" buck!:noidea: What does everyone else use?

3. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

i always wanted to try one but it would be tough where i hunt...i have had the delta rbb set up in the back yard for practicing and had deer come up to it...so i guess it works.

4. IChim2

you know....it just dawned on me that there's been some good talk about hunting today...not a lot of nonsence..just good ole hunting.

5. bullfiddle

It's still early.....:tape:

6. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I will be leaving here in about 30 minutes to go hunting, wish I would have brought my decoy with me!:doh:

7. CSS Shooter

CSS Shooter Senior Member

They work

I have used a renzo decoy setup and had it works. The buck in my signiture was taken with that setup buck and doe.

8. I missed

I missed Senior Member

ive never used one but i would think it would make the deer more comfortable

9. CSS Shooter

CSS Shooter Senior Member

When I use a ground blind I like to use them around the blind to fool the deer into think it is a brush pile. Of course I brush the blind in when setting it up. They do work. What I have seen if you only use a Doe you usually only get small bucks and does and yearlings to come to it. Using the buck and doe setup it peaks the good buck into moving your way. Good luck and they do work.

10. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I always figured somebody would shoot me while I was carrying the damn thing. :biggrin1:

11. bullfiddle

That's exactly why I don't take them into the woods during gun season. Ya never know somebody might do a drive by. But during archery season I think it's pretty safe. Nice thing about the renzo's is you can fold em up and there flat like carboard.

12. IChim2

:laugh: that would worry me as much as some of these good ole boys drink around where i live/hunt.

13. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

I have a renzo doe decoy and haven't used it too much. I had it work great one time but it was a 2 & 1/2 year old 8 pointer that I had to let go. I am thinking about breaking it out this weekend, just for something to try.

14. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I never tried a decoy... Hummmm...

Ron