Differences in rules...

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Greg / MO, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Member

OK, I shot my second-ever 3D shoot today, and am really anticipating getting into this big-time over the next several years...

I'm looking to participate in Hunter Class at the shoots I attend, and have just been perusing both ASA's and IBO's websites trying to bone up on everything... Let me make sure I'm not missing something.

In ASA, Hunter Class is limited to shooting 280 fps; at IBO-sanctioned shoots, there's just a 5-grain-per-lb rule.

At IBO shoots, you can only use 8.5-power binos; I didn't see a restriction at ASA shoots.

at IBO shoots, you have to have a vane measuring at least 3.75 inches; again, I saw no restriction for this on the ASA site.

It does look like one consistency between both governing bodies is that four fixed pins is the max, and the stabilizer has to be shorter than 12 inches.

Please let me know if these findings are correct, and if not -- which ones aren't. If you've got a link showing where I'm wrong at, that would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

2. tek

tek Senior Member

Greg where did you shoot at today? I'm just north of Jackson and didn't know there were any shoots around.

If you are shooting the local shoots, most of them have their own club rules. Some of them are not to strict :biggrin1:

I think 4 Corners Archery goes by IBO rules and Barks goes by ASA rules.

3. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

Frankly, I think you will find that the vast majority of the ranges around Mo really don't pay that much attention to any IBO or ASA rules. Most ranges have their own rules and are very lenient. I ahve never seen anyone have their bino's checked at a shoot. Hunter class used to have a requirement of 4" vanes but most now allow the blazers. Only the State Shoots is where I have seen any "speed" rule enforced and they they would give you a 3% lea way. In most cases you will fall into the Hunter Class or the Men's Release class and there really isn't that much of a difference. Most ranges don't even have the Hunter Class anymore, it's just Mens Release or Open.

4. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Most places (other then maybe sanctioned) seem to not care at all to be honest with ya... Noone has used a chrono on me or weighed my arrows, checked my binos, or pretty much anything.

In a few years when you are ready to start doing the big tourneys I'd read up on the rules, for now just have fun and get used to the yardage.

5. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Dredly is right. Just have fun and get used to the different situations the course setup people put out there and get used to judging yardage.

Here the rules are more or less governed by the clubs and they are pretty relaxed. For example, we can use 2" blazers from the hunter class stakes. Hunter class cannot use lenses in their sights/scopes. It's about as simple as that for each class. It's more of and issue of age/gender/compound or traditional/scope+lens or no lens.

Just have fun...

Ron

6. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Member

tek, I shot at Barks... ASA state shoot.

Trust me, I realize how lax these places are on adhering to strict rules (I don't even think Barks realizes there are rules, but I'm grateful to them for giving us a place to shoot!)

I just want to play by the real rules so that if I ever get good enough to shoot the bigger shoots, I don't have to re-learn anything or overcome a wrong mindset.

7. tek

tek Senior Member

Don't know how I messed up that bad...I thought Barks was next weekend. I probably wrote it on the calender wrong :noidea:

I shoot in Open or MSR class and I usually shoot in the upper 280s fps, so I'm always within the rules on that stuff. I use 8 power binos so thats legal everywhere. If you just read all the ASA and IBO rules I'm sure you can tweak your equipment and speed to satisfy both.

8. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Member

tek,

I shot the course with Mike, the gentleman who sets it all up. He told me there's going to be a shoot next weekend as well. I'm heading down to Birmingham to help work the Deer Festival show there, but I'm hoping I can make it out to the shoot on Sunday.

If I get there, my rig's pretty easy to spot: it's a Jeep Grand Cherokee with license plates that read BOHNTR and has some of my sponsor's sticker on the back side glass...

9. sweet old bill

sweet old bill Member

why do they even allow 8x or any power binos ? how and why are they used ???

I do have a problem with why they did not update to allow in the rules the fletch to be 2 inch as the bohning blazer are a hunting vanes and now we have several other mfg of vanes coming out with similar products.

I also see one of the new procuts this year is a slide type hunting sight that has a fiber optic sight pin and also has a 4x lens so this would put you in open class and not bowhunter if I read the rules ????

10. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

the allow binos so you can see where the kill zones are on the animals.

Correct, a lense puts you in open class, a sliding hunting sight is normally legal in hunter class as long as there is no lense.

Yeah its stupid that short veins move you to a different class. Just another example of technology advancing faster then the rules that govern it.

11. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Member

Dredly, I thought any sliders at all automatically took you out of Hunter Class? I've read four fixed pins only, and you're only allowed one gang adjustment ONCE -- and it has to be done in front of your shooting group.

12. tek

tek Senior Member

I should be there also, I will try to look you up. I should be driving a black Ranger with Hoyt stickers in the back window :biggrin1:

13. tek

tek Senior Member

Yup, everywhere around here a slider site takes you out of Hunter class even with no lense....I use a slider for hunting and 3Ding. I get put in Open class when there isnt any old man classes :biggrin1:

14. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

You CAN use a lens in ASA hunter class...and blazer vanes. Don't know why the IBO hasn't changed their rules regarding vanes yet, but I am sure they will.