Draw length changed want opinions

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by tenzero1, Nov 9, 2007.

1. tenzero1

tenzero1 Member

I changed the module on my bow to 27" (was free at gander mountain) and it seems a bit better tell me what u think!

[​IMG]

2. Huya

Huya Senior Member

Now it looks like you are more comfortable. It looks like that should be your natural draw length. You will probably do a lot better.

3. tenzero1

tenzero1 Member

oh and btw im buying a new release so that one doesnt fail and im thinknig i need to change my nock and sight now can that be done by my local pro for fairly cheap?

4. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

That looks a 100 percent better. If I could make one suggestion your release hand is way out in the middle of nowhere. You need to either shorten up the strap on your release or get a different one. You need to get your hand into your face more. Some guys put a couple knuckles behind there jawbone. I am just offering you some advice that will make ya a better shooter.

5. tenzero1

tenzero1 Member

all advice is appretiated and i am buying a new release asap so ill def tuck my hand back some

6. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

OK take a good look at this picture. Notice where his hand is? It's up against the back of his jaw. Compare it to your photo and you will see what I am talking about.

disclamer: This photo was not used with the express written permission of the Bunnyman.

7. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

here's ya a hint on bow had
    let that puppy rest in your hand
    relax tha hand tha pull of tha bow will keep it in place
    hold it like a little bunny.

8. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

You could consider a wrist strap on your bow. It may help you have the confidence to relax that hand some.

9. tenzero1

tenzero1 Member

Thanks for the tips guys and i nearly bought a wrist strap today since my module was free

10. jetshowell

jetshowell Member

make sure you get your arm as straight as you can and hold the bow with your thumb and pointer finger and relax the last three same with you release hand make sure you keep you fingers relaxed

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

o.k. next pic....how about head to toe......I wanna see your feet......it appears like you have your stance too open......

yeah and the death grip needs to go....notice in my pic, I am not griping my bow and I dont use a sling.....

12. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I was thinking it was out there a bit. Maybe if you had your hand anchored to your cheek or something you could be more consistant. Helps for me

13. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

yes, my bow doesn't jump, but the wrist strap helps me not grip the bow so much. Doesn't someone on here make wrist straps? jcmorgan or benfarr?

14. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Benfarr makes awesome braided slings.:rockon:

15. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I still think you need to load an arrow.:doh:

DL looks better could still be a half inch shorter but your anchor needs to be solid against your jawbone. And open your bowhand a little looks like your trying to strangle that bow.:lol:

16. Holy Smokes

Bman is still tha Man!:bored: :biggrin1:

17. Holy Smokes

Heres one with tha type of release you are using

notice tha release hand is elbow level with shoulder
    now your bow arm looks good
    below tha shoulder and a slght bend in tha elbow

wrist is a little low
    make you a straight line with your elbow and it.

try ta keep your body from leaning up or back.

look at tha finger in relation to tha string how close it is to it. now look at your post way back
    tighten up that release string and bring it in closer.

notice tha head position
    needs ta be up not bent over

got that string on your nose
    centers your body up fer tha shot
    good

Now git out htere and pracice practice practice and develope you a habit

keep tha shot form in your head and not at tha target

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  18. tenzero1

tenzero1 Member

Thanks for all the help but im just using this for hunting i dont look to do any target shooting i just wanted to know if i was good on DL and what i could fix that would matter in hunting... today i seemed to hit my mark fine but ill progressively work in better habits while shooting out of season

19. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

have you ever been to a 3d shoot???

trust me its the most fun you can have on any given day.........

20. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

I honestly don't know why these guys are being so kind to you. You aksed for an honest assessment and they're beating around the bush not trying to hurt your feelings.

In truth, your form is terrible. I full llength picture from the side , the back, and one from overhead would be more preferrable.

I'll try be as honest as I can. The draw length on the bow is still about 1" too long. The string loop is too long. The release is too long. All these "too long" things is why your release hand is hanging out in the middle of never-never land. When you get the length all figured out the knuckle at the base of your index finger will be approximately right at or slightly under your ear lobe.

The fact that your nose is on the string has nothing to do with how close the draw length is. This can be accomplished by raising or lowering your anchor points, moving the kisser and peep accordingly.

Now getting to the other side--the left. Your have a real choke hold on that bow. The hand is turned vertical with the palm on the grip. You need to turn the hand out at about 40 degrees, shoot of the meat of the thumb, and totally relax that hand. Look at your own picture and see how taut the arm muscles are. These need to be relaxed, just like the hand. All these tight muscles wll cause bow torque and muscle fatigue.

I'm going to take a beating for this, but you need to get on www.archerytalk.com and do a search for a guy uses the name Nuts&Bolts. He's the guru about this stuff and has lots of pictures about draw length and form and such.