Drill here. Drill now

Discussion in 'Offtopic' started by scottg, Aug 21, 2008.

1. scottg

scottg Huntin Junkie

I am sure that this will stir up some minds, but some things just need to be said.

Our governments decision to drill now for oil is a bit too late. I have been in the drilling industry for 17 years now. We have a big problem in the drilling end of things. Our problem is that we can open every square mile of the U.S. for drilling and it will not do us a bit of good. The drilling industry is drilling at full capacity now and we have been for several years now.

When the last down turn in the U.S. drilling came about. Drilling companies moved the rigs overseas. I work for a U.S. company with almost 100 rigs, only 15 are in the U.S..

Companies are building new rigs everyday. 1 in 10 will work in the U.S. Deepwater drilling is where the future is at for us. The drawback is that is gets expensive to drill in deepwater. The rigs take longer to build. We are having a very hard time finding people to man the rigs also. It doesn't do a company any good to invest 720 million dollars in a rig that has no people to run it.

When it cost more to drill a well, it cost more for the oil that they get. 10 years ago, we were drilling wells for 3 to 6 million dollars. My rig is drilling a well right now and we are 37 million for this one well. There is no way that they can sell the oil for $60 a barrel at that cost to drill.

The moral of the story is that oil is not going down. I will go up and down, but on an upward trend. It is only going to get worse and prices higher.

2. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

Glad I bought my bike. 70 miles per gallon.

3. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

tha devil you say:rain: :mad2:

4. scottg

scottg Huntin Junkie

Some more interesting things are the fact that the White House is not the building that would not let us drill. Capitol Hill is where that came from and the tree huggers.

The 68,000,000 acres that we have to drill on right now, just about all of that has a well or several wells now. The problem is that not all of that area has oil or gas in the ground.

Oil companies have some very good ways of finding oil and gas without ever thinking about drilling a hole. We pretty much know now before we ever put a bit in the ground if there is oil or not.

I just seems funny that the ones on Tv telling us to buy hybrid cars and save energy are the ones with a 14,000 sqft house and private jets. You don't need a house that big for a family of 4 or 5. I have not seen Al Gore's hybrid jet as of yet. Maybe he will let us see it.

All trends show our oil usage going down every year and has for several years. There is enough oil in the U.S. territory to last us for well over 100 years at current rates. That will buy us enough time to let technology catch up and make alternative fuels practical. T-Boone Pickens wind farm will not get you to work, put tires on your truck, make plastics, make fertilizer, pave roads, make medicine, or give us the product to make all the chemicals that we use everyday.

5. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

If it was'nt made to believe by tha eliets i could tell you several things that would make your blood boil and wannt to secede:tape: and git our country back
    but.......:usa:

6. scottg

scottg Huntin Junkie

Smokes, I am all for taking our country back. Those who don't like it the way that the founding fathers meant it to be, can pack up and leave. I can give them a few sugestions of where to go.

If they want to live by total governmet control, China, North Korea, Cuba, are all open.

I still vote for Uncle Ted, not because he is a hunter. Because he will say what is on his mind and don't care if a few are offended. I like his views on many things.