drop away rests adding draw weight?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by freediver, Apr 6, 2008.

1. freediver

freediver Junior Member

I am in the process of installing my first drop away rest (Tropy Ridge DZ) on my Mathews bow. I am curious about two things. I measured the pull required to get the rest to the stops and it's right at 4.5 lbs. I did not realize that it would add so much weight to my peak (maybe 2-3 lbs. to peak) and holding weight. Am I missing something here?

2nd question -- I have a little trouble understanding how the rest always stays on the stops. If it drops away just a tad I guess it affects the trajectory of the arrow. So to make certain it stays pegged on the stop it seems that you would have to tie off the cord so that the drop way cord is under some tension from the down cable. But that would add some more pull to the holding weight, maybe another lb or two. I'm now up to 5-6 lbs. extra holding weight.

Now I'm asking myself why I want to add this pull to my bow for zero speed improvement ???

Like I said, I must be missing something here -- what is it?

Thanks

2. j3dGuam

j3dGuam Senior Member

Can the tension spring be adjusted on that rest? If so try to lighten the tension. I just installed a NAP 2000 on one of my bows and I noticed an increase in weight. I adjusted the springs tension on the rest and I don't notice it anymore. The the rest still drops fast enough for arrow clearance.

3. J.C.

J.C. New Member

well, the main benefit is fletching clearance, but I'm sure you knew that...:D

Are you sure you can't get it to the stops with less than 6 pounds? There's always other rests. The ripcord claims only two ounces to raise it and it works off a sear independent of cable tension to make it drop.

4. freediver

freediver Junior Member

I don't know if you can adjust spring tension but there is no mention of it in the instructions. I don't see a way to do it either.

It takes 4.5 lbs to get it all the way to the top where it bottoms out. But to know it stays on the stops it seems to me that you would have to have the cable pulling a little against the stops so I figure that would be something like 0.5 to 1.0 lbs. on top of the 4.5 lbs to compress the spring.

Is it not tricky to get the cable to pull the rest exactly to the stops without it pulling on the cable? Does this adversely affect the life of the cable where you attach the drop away cord?

Thanks

5. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Get a Limbdriver. :rockon: