Dry Firing... what happens

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Neuralgia, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Neuralgia

Neuralgia New Member

ok, let me explain myself.

I know you shouldn't do it.

BUT, I live in Costa Rica, and ordered a new Bow (Diamond Rapture) from huntersfriend.com.

I sent it to my brother's home, in OR.

The bow arrived today, and I told him that if he wanted to open it and check everything before sending it to me, it was ok.

I ALSO told him, to NOT DRY FIRE.

He draw the bow, and when trying to release it smoothly, he couldn;t (or wasn't prepared), and the bow dry fired.

The stabilizer BROKE (still no pictures).

He called me and asked me what to do. The guys at hunterfriend, are sending me a new stabilizer, and as soon as I get it, my brother will drive to Eugene, OR, where Bowtech is located, to check if it's ok (he called, and they told him to leave it there, just in case)

What can happen? Is the bow useless?

Any ideas?

I'm so worried, I know it's not a premium bow, but it's my first compound, and didn't even have the chance to hold it.

2. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

99% of the time nothing disasterous will happen...But that 1%, limbs can fracture or break and risers can be stressed and fracture causing a serious injury later if not checked.

get it checked...I'll bet it's fine. Just don't let him draw the bow back anymore. :tape:

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I gotta ASK......how did the stabilizer break from the bow being dry fired????

4. ace7038

ace7038 New Member

I had the 1% dry fire. I did it myself by drawing the bow back (Mathews Switchback) with my fingers (I shoot a release) and when I went to let the bow back down it 'sorta' took the string out of my fingers. The cam ended up with the string off the side of it and a chunk out of the side of it. I about freaked out! No bow press within 50 miles! I looked at it and decided to draw the bow back again and the string went right back on the cam:D I took the bow to a press and was able to smooth out the sharp edge on the can and put a new string on it and still shoot it today like that. I was so afraid of hearing it go off in the back seat of the car on the way back to the shop with the string off the side of the cam I decided to take a chance pulling it back. I do look very closely at the limbs after every session of shooting arrows but I think after 3 years it would have shown something wrong if there was.

5. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

:welcome: to the forum Sorry to hear of the Dry Fire.

Definately get it checked out. Very dangerous to shoot a bow that has been dry fired and not check out.:peace:

6. OneMustFall

OneMustFall Member

DITTO :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

7. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

sorry to hear about the dry fire, from what i know nothing good comes of it thats for sure.

8. Neuralgia

Neuralgia New Member

I'm still confused about the whole thing.

I'm in Costa Rica, so I'm just waiting for some pictures.

My bro tells me the stabilizer "exploded".

not sure what that means.

:Cry:

As soon as i get pictures, and more info, i'll let you know

9. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

:confused: Odd - When I read the title I was expecting to hear of cracked limbs etc. - I wouldn't have guessed that one. Wise move to have it checked over.