Early Doe Season? (Michigan)

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by jdawg240, Jun 23, 2008.

1. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

Any fello Michigander bowman have a opinion on our new early Doe season from Sept 18th thru the 22nd in primarly Southern Michigan(and the tb zones up north).. This is private land only,gun only..

I really dont know what to think of it. I have no idea how it will affect the mature bucks down state???? We will let the farm set and pass on this hunt ourselves. We will stick with shooting mature does the first 2 weeks of bow season as in years past. I will say it's good for the button bucks..It should be crystal clear that time of the year whos who:tape: ..Anyone going to take advantage of this new hunt???

2. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

i dont like the early seasons that they have been having. i hunt on public land right by some private land that has more people hunting on it than it can hold. these idots will shoot anything that walks by and they just kill my bow season, by the time there done the deer are all worked up and are scarce the rest of the season.:frusty: not to mention thats small game season.

3. Slice

Slice The Fobinator

I don't like the idea of putting the deer under stress this early in the season.

I'm pretty sure the early born fawns will do well with out their Mothers but some of the later born fawns may have a hard time surviving. (This is only my opinion)

4. MichiganHunter

i totaly agree, a few years ago when we had a hard winter i seen a little doe that was all by itself and there was know way it was going to make it thru the winter. so i used my tag on it. atlest all the spots were gone.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  5. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

I will be hunting. I have a couple of spots that need the does thinned a bit anyway.:D

6. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

Just what we need in Michigan, another couple weeks of deer hunting.:frusty:

If you can't fill your freezer in the three months of hunting we already have you probably shouldn't be in the wood in the first place......

State's broke and looking for ways to raise more money........

7. MichiganHunter

thats an eazy fix.... just get rid of the mole face in lansing.

8. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

This is what happens when the insurance companies make the hunting regulations, instead of DNR Biologists.

9. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

I hear the next fundraising opportunity for her is to tax all lump sum retirements at a 10% rate.:censored:

10. bigwoods hunter

bigwoods hunter New Member

early doe season not for me

I am against this early doe season. If they want more does harvested, then why can't they add an extra few days on at the end of firearm season for a late season doe hunt. They say that the 10 days between the early doe season and bow season is enough to let the deer settle back down. I don't buy it! The deer are going to be on edge and I believe that it will have an impact on the amount of deer taken during bow season.

11. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

When I find the guy who says he has to many deer on his hunting property and not enough time from Oct 1st until Jan 1st to kill some then I'll agree with this season myself.

On a side note I saw 4 shooter bucks last week:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

12. Slice

Slice The Fobinator

I'm there, only need 1 share the wealth buddy. :rockon:

13. MichiganHunter

you can pick me up on the way there. :rockon:

14. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

6 years of letting 1 1/2 year old bucks walk is paying off.

15. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

I agree. I have seen some very positive results in my hunting spot letting the 1.5's, and 2.5's walk.:rockon:

16. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

We havent got to the point of letting 2 year olds walk just yet. We would love to take it to the next level but we are taking baby steps. If we could ever get a few old school neighbors on board then we could start to. Still it's tuff to let a 110-115 inch deer walk by with a bow in your hands. Especilly in our State.

17. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

Let them walk, shoot a doe. Take a picture, that is what I do.
    I have still shot 110-115's on occasion though, but we try to only let the kids shoot them.:cool: